Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blue Hole

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I did a little research about computer depth gauges and how they work. I found out that a computer depth gauge will compensate for the altitude but will display the actual depth. Otherwise my computer was showing 77 feet and there was really 77 feet deep. Now the mechanical depth gauge doesn’t compensate for altitude so they would shallower than the actual depth. Make sense....
    I've been reading John Lippman's Deeper Into Diving and it's got a great chapter on high altitude stuff. It's an interesting read and the math gives me a headache, but suffice to say that the simple answer is that it's all about Henry's and Dalton's law on partial pressures and actual atmosphere's of the partial pressures and then gas absorption.

There are essentially 3 types of guages-not computer: One that can be adjusted to show a zero depth no matte the altitude, one that can not be adjusted and the old reliable open bouron tubes. The adjustable and Bouron will show the actual depth where the nonadjustable guage will have to be at a given depth before it will move from zero.

Dennis is right, most modern computers figure this automatically which is a very nice feature. I looked at a Oceanic, Hollis and Suunto manual and the time needed to reset to a specific altitude vary so please read your owners manual. After they have reset, they are good to go within their design limitations.

The actual depth and Equivalent Ocean Depth is important is with NDL's and deco if one goes beyond the EOD Since we've been talking about Blue Hole: Max depth is CWSWine's 77'. I used the 5000' altitude line of the navy chart for added safety. 77' rounds up to 80' and at 5000' asl, it's EOD is 100' (BTW, it you used 4500', 80' is still 100' EOD) So to use Rec Tables, your NDL is 20 minutes. Your safety stop would be at 17' instead of 20' or 12' instead of 15' deoending on you personal safety stop depth preference .

I you did a deco dive, your deco stop depths are different too: 8' instead of 10', 17' instead of 20', 25' vs. 30', 33' vs. 40, 42' vs. 50' and 50 instead of 60'.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    I don't know about you guys; but, I think scubastud is a trouble maker. He took a nice little topic like diving in a hole and turned it into a big mess. I may never go diving again.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    I don't know about you guys; but, I think scubastud is a trouble maker. He took a nice little topic like diving in a hole and turned it into a big mess. I may never go diving again.
    All those who believe THAT, press the Like Button....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    NO ONE believes that~!!
    God is good, no matter what!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information