Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blue Hole

Shark
    Images

Blue Hole

So here I am in Santa Rosa New Mexico for a week, I see dive flag symbols at hotels and restaurant doors. Find out there is some cool place called the blue hole, 90-100 feet deep, 80' (!!!) visibility and 68 degree water all year long. Of course left all my gear at home.
    Anyone dive this spot? Sure seems popular.

Sine Timore!

Megalodon
    Images
    It is indeed. Why didn't you ask before you went, stud? Blue Hole is not bad for a weekend of diving every now and then-unless you live in New Mexico then it's about the only place to dive. A lot of OW students from Colo end up here too. The hole itself is about 90' dia at the top and 140' at the bottom, it is spring fed so will be very clear in the morning and as the day goes on, a lot of students stir it up. There is reportedly a dive shop there where you can rent some gear if you're so inclined, but darned if I can find it. air is usually available on site on weekends. It's a high altitude dive: call it 4700' so you have to adjust your NDL's. A 15' safety stop is actually 12' due to altitude.

Winter is better than summer as during the summer, you havea lot of local kids/residents that use the hole as a swimming hole and jump off the hill hole - got to watch where you surface. A lot of congestion and silly questions from the spectators. No matter when you go, lock up your valuables and leave nothing out - this place is not Oronogo or Bennett Springs. Also, if you do dive, you need to have a city permit - A 7-day permit is $8.

More info: Santa Rosa, New Mexico : City of Lakes

There are also a few other lakes in the near-by area that are divable, one has a Cessna 410 sunk in it as I recall. They're within 10 minutes of Blue Hole.

Watch your speeds in Santa Rosa too: It was one huge speed trap while we were there. Everytime we went somewhere, there were at least 3 -4 cars pulled over. And if you are on the main drag into/out of town, it is one steep hill that you can easily pick up speed on.
    Last edited by navyhmc; 03-27-2013 at 05:12.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Not my video:

Images
    Some interesting notes on the Blue Hole:

Any dive over 1,000 feet (303 m) should be considered an altitude dive, so the Blue Hole's elevation above sea level would certainly be a factor in any dive planning. While the actual depth is 81 feet, (25 m), the theoretical depth at this altitude is about 95 feet (29 m). This is because there is less air pressure (a decline of roughly 3.1 percent per 1,000 feet [303 m]) the higher a diver ascends in altitude.
    Since driving to a higher elevation after a dive would basically be the same as flying after diving, divers have to observe special rules after conducting an altitude dive. Divers heading back to Albuquerque after diving the Blue Hole have to off-gas several hours because the highway crosses a mountain ridge of more than 7,000 feet (2,121 m). The risk of decompression illness is increased if the route is attempted without waiting the appropriate time.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    Zeagle gives good advice.

That said, You don't necessarily need an Altitude diver card to dive BH, but having a good strong working knowledge of high altitude diving is a must! If you think you can get bent easily at sea level, it a lot easier at altitude-in more ways than one as ZE pointed out. One of the best guides for the is the US Navy Dive Manual. http://www.supsalv.org/pdf/Dive%20Ma...%20Chg%20A.pdf

I can get the altitude of the pass later, but I was thinking it was closer to 8,500 feet.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    I am wondering if my dive computer compensates for the altitude in any way. It's an Atomic Cobalt. I guess I may just have to read the manual.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I have dove the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa several times and our policy has been no diving for the first 12 hours after arriving and no diving for at least 12 hours before we leave. We are heading east so there is not mountains to go over on our way home.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Images
    My manual says it compensates automatically for altitude. I wonder what that means. My Oceanic Pro Plus says the same thing.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I did some dive planning on my computer at home than after arriving at the Blue Hole and the computer figured NDL times compensating for the altitude. I suspect it would make a difference in fly times also but it did show actual depths and not compensated depths while diving.
    - Dennis ><()))">

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
    I did some dive planning on my computer at home than after arriving at the Blue Hole and the computer figured NDL times compensating for the altitude. I suspect it would make a difference in fly times also but it did show actual depths and not compensated depths while diving.
    I think mine will do the same thing. It would be interesting to note what the NDL times on your computer prior to going to altitude and then checking it again after arriving at altitude. How do you know if it was actual depth and not compensated. I am guessing you had a physical point on the bottom...say the outlet grate and you knew what depth that was. I am thinking my computer/s is going to show me compensated depth; but, I am just guessing.

I seem to remember being locked out of my computer for a short period of time as I turned it on in the airplane to play with. When I got to the hotel it took an hour or two to get back to sea level and wouldn't let me in.

Interestingly I had a pelican case that it was in. After playing with the computer for awhile (in the airplane) I put it back in the case and closed it. I had failed to open the pressure relief valve on it after landing. When I tried to open it at sea level it wouldn't open. I didn't get it open until I got to the hotel and remembered to twist the valve open.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information