Thread: pony bottle as inflation source

Grouper
    Images

pony bottle as inflation source

weird title but I didn't know how else to word it

recently changed my drysuit inflation hose from my back tank to slung pony bottle that also has a spare reg on it. seems to work ok but what do you think? good idea or bad? how much psi will any average dive us from a 19 cf bottle?
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

I know a few guys who use a separate bottle for drysuit inflation. Most are using a 19 cu.ft. bottle. You can also fill the bottle with argon (not breatheable). I believe it has better thermal properties than air. The downside is (a) you have to be careful to not confuse it with air and (b) you cannot use it as a bail-out bottle in an emergency.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grouper
    Images
    I guess I should also say that there is no intention to hand this bottle off to another diver as there is no other diver (solo)
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

Barracuda
    I still use my back gas as primary source for the suit. I do have an inflator hose on my 50% bottle in case I had to shut down my right post on the back tanks. Argon in a seperate 6-19 CF bottle is ideal when you add helium to the breathing mix, helium is a crap insulating gas. If the 19 is your redundant breathing gas, I would stick to keeping it that way. That way when you need it, you know it is all still there waiting for you
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Megalodon
    Images
    IMHO, if you're using a bottle for dry suit inflation, it should be a single task set up - don't rely on it for escape gas. Argon filled bottle is one reason (though, personally, I haven't bought into the argon is warmer argument.)

The other is how much gas are you using to inflate your dry suit? I would imagine it would be in the neighborhood of 2-3 cuft depending on the depth of your dive. How many dives have you had on that pony without a fill? how much was left in it when you are planning on using it as a bailout bottle? Most places charge the same for a 400 psi 19 cu ft top off as a full fill on an AL80. Personally, I'm of a mind to have my redundant gas stay redundant only and my inflation gas stay inflation only and don't cross purpose them. Also, as I recall, most argon systems are 6 cu ft tanks.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Guppy
    I dive an LP95 and a slung AL40. If I lost my back gas and switched to my pony, the dive is over. There is no need to put more gas in the suit... just start ascending.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I don't see the need to use a slung tank for drysuit inflation. Seems like a problem looking for a solution. How is the hose routed.

Unless your diving trimix I would just use my back gas. Simple easy and it works.

Also if your slinging an tank I would get a Al 40.

Most divers that use a dedicated bottle for suit inflation are doing so because they are diving mix. Helium is a poor insulator because it's molecule size is very small. Argon is the best because it's inert and has a larger molecule size. Many divers using a dedicated bottle will use just air since it's cheaper and easier to find.

Grouper
    I used a 19 slung for drysuit inflation and back up air on 1 dive trip, used a total of 4 cu ft for 5 dives.
    Got home and took the inflator off of the pony, just don't use that much air in the drysuit.

Jim Breslin

Grouper
    Images
    Cant see the upside.. Only use enough back gas in my drysuit to take away the squeeze. Would suggest a bigger primary tank if gas usage is the real concern. I'm with the 50% 40cf slung bail out bottle crowd.
    There is a God... Come diving I'll show you!!
    Just found out I'm an Infidel! Translation: FREE!!

Thread Information