Thread: Genesis The Source Computer Battery Replacement...

TadPole

Genesis The Source Computer Battery Replacement...

I have an old Genesis "The Source" dive computer. I know that battery kits are no available for this computer anymore but I can still take it to a LDS and they will replace the batteries and o-ring if needed. The batteries are easy enough to get (Energizer - CR2032) but if the LDS can get an o-ring I should be able to as well. So far as I can tell this must be a well kept secret though as I cannot get anyone to own up to the o-ring size. I would like to know if there are battery replacement kits available for other models that will interchange (Genesis ReSource/Sherwood Source) or at least what size is the o-ring so I can just go to Ace Hardware and buy one.

Megalodon
    Images
    My disclaimer: Following this advice could result in your computer being flooded.

You can probably take the o-ring to Ace and find one that is close in dimensions. The hardest part is finding one that is close enough to be water tight. With these o-rings, .01"(length/dia or thickness) can be the difference between high and dry inside and "I dropped my cell phone in the toilet" wet. Your best bet may not be ace hardware. Rather, find the local o-ring distributor and talk with them. As far as a Genesis ReScourse or Sherwood Source battery kit working, your best bet is to drop them an email or phone call.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    My disclaimer: Following this advice could result in your computer being flooded.

You can probably take the o-ring to Ace and find one that is close in dimensions. The hardest part is finding one that is close enough to be water tight. With these o-rings, .01"(length/dia or thickness) can be the difference between high and dry inside and "I dropped my cell phone in the toilet" wet. Your best bet may not be ace hardware. Rather, find the local o-ring distributor and talk with them. As far as a Genesis ReScourse or Sherwood Source battery kit working, your best bet is to drop them an email or phone call.
    I talked to the Genesis rep on the Scubaboard forum and he said the ReSource will not work but got no reply on the Sherwood Source. I probably will take to a bearing/o-ring shop and find out what it really is. Just kinda sucks that the manufacturers know the size but won't say just so you'll go out and buy another one. I have an old Sherwood Source that is not user friendly for battery change outs. I usually send it out to a shop up in New Jersey for servicing. I just bought this Genesis computer and would like to have it pressure tested so I my send it to them just for that. The service tech recommended I should have them change the battery while they have it. I am going to ask if they will sell me a few of their o-rings in the process. I'm not holding my breath. Thanks for the response though.

Thread Information