Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pricing Seems Odd to Me....Nitrox

Images

Pricing Seems Odd to Me....Nitrox

Just got an email for an upcoming Nitrox class at one of the dive shops I use. They are offering the class for $110. Not to bad, but since I live 3 hours away I looked at the elearning aspect. They want $230 for the online and then another $50 for the referral for the practical.

I know they are trying to fill a class at $110, but Wow...

Snagel

Grouper
    tryingto kick start the season maybe?

Megalodon
    Images
    Snagel, who is the online course through?

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Most of the E-learning cost goes to the agency that is doing the class, the 50 for the practicals is not bad. Pricing for 110. pretty good. Enjoy the class, and welcome to the start of the dark side. I used to say air is for tires, but I think my truck is probably running 30% or better these days.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Megalodon
    Images
    There is an online scam of sorts that rears it's ugly head occassionally: Scuba divers of America. But their online course is only $79.95 So far, I haven;t heard of one shop that accepts their referral and a number of the shops that they list as affiliates have not only never heard of them but came right out and said they wouldn't take a refferal from them.

Personally, I am glad taht I did the in the class room nitrox course. I got a lot of questions that weren't in the book answered. It would suck though to spend 6 hours driving for a 3-4 hour course.

Images
    The "online" is the elearning through PADI that was advertised on the dive shops website. I'm assuming the $230 is a standard price issued by PADI. Honestly, my opinion is that price is way to high. Dive shops can offer personal training for less than half that price and include the practical. Obviously because they can train many students at once.

If I lived closer to the dive shop I would probably attend the $110 class. Nitrox is something I don't have to do, but always thought if I could get into a class cheap I would do it just to learn a little more technical stuff and have this available if I ever wanted to do some regulated deeper dives like the "Big O".

Snagel

My LDS is offering nitrox for $119. It is a one day course (NAUI) on a Saturday, with two nitrox dives required. You are required to buy the nitrox or rent tanks with nitrox. I did not learn anything from the two nitrox dives, but it was required for the c-card.

Megalodon
    Images
    I have my Nitrox thorugh PADI EAN actually. PADI doesn't require dives for the cert. The only real hands on is analysing a tank. It's been discussed here in dapth before, but I have to agree with the PADI mind set of there's nothing to gain from the dives save blowing bubbles. Nitrox is theory and education more than anything. I still remember the days of Voodoo gas and it will kill you dead on the second breath.

Grouper
    Is Nitrox one of those once you do it, you never go back deals?
    We have a long way to go before we make that jump, but our computers are nitrox ready.

Just wonder if there is that much of an advantage to us open water reef divers, or is it more of a tech dive thing?

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    For me it more about the number of dives over a period of time. If you are trying to do 5 dives in a day it will push your NDL pretty hard. That's when I use it. I know a guy that took a chamber ride once and won't get in the water without nitrox. He keeps his computer set to 21% for the added safety measure. If deep diving is your thing, high percentages of nitrox can hurt.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information