Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: It's time to get a new UW camera

Grouper
    Images
    Hey guys, hope you've all enjoyed your weekend. I've spent the time to think of a few more questions.
    The YS-01 has a focus light built in. How does this effect the battery life? Btw, what's the battery life of the YS-01? I'm assuming that I'd turn on the focus light when I'm looking to shoot and it'll stay on maybe half the dive? And dives usually last around 40 mins max with a group. So how many dives could I go through before having to change batteries? (I'd rather not have to change batteries while on a dive boat just to ensure that nothing inside gets accidentally wet).

Another few questions about the camera itself. So here's my thinking. A super-zoom compact is not so handy for underwater since you'd get a lot of interference when zooming in a lot anyways. So then it comes down to sensor size. Despite being a mediocre camera compared to direct competitors, the E-PM1 is still a M4/3 and has a larger sensor so should produce better pictures than a compact, right? How would a large-sensor "compact" compare?

Considering the pricing right now, it would probably make sense for me to just buy the $500 deal for the Olympus E-PM1 and use it like a compact with no intentions of investing in other lenses. With the kit lens, I should still be able to get performance equal or better to a compact, right?

Finally, there's a Light version and a non-Light version of the housing. What are your thoughts on this idea? It may substitute for a focus light (or maybe it wouldn't have the range of a typical focus light). Seems that the direct light may cause the subjects to want to retreat, no? The fact that the Light version of the housing doesn't fit the 60mm macro lens is not something I'm concerned with at the moment.

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Clernix View Post
    Once you start down the path of the dark side there is no turning back. Budman has a really nice post where he discusses getting into a used dslr.

Also check out Wetpixel.com you can get a complete 4/3 system for around 1k if you keep an eye out.

If you think diving is a money pit; you ain't seen nothing yet!
    LOL. Trust me. I know the whole dslr thing. That's why I'm telling myself that I'm not going to get into lenses for a 4/3 system. Just use it as a dedicated dive camera. Last thing I need is to have to get lenses for the 4/3 system while getting lenses for my dslr. So I keep telling myself. If I get a 4/3 system, no additional lenses.. So I keep telling myself...... we'll see. haha
    But thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Grouper
    Images
    I think I've pretty much decided to get the E-PM1 with the housing. The question is, do I get newer housing with the light or the older one with no light? Any suggestions? Comments? Opinions?

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    No lights on port. These lights are pretty much useless, Olympus did not use this concept moving forward. Much better to purchase a real focus light even if you need to save up and do this later.
    DevilDiver

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by db83 View Post
    The YS-01 has a focus light built in. How does this effect the battery life? Btw, what's the battery life of the YS-01? I'm assuming that I'd turn on the focus light when I'm looking to shoot and it'll stay on maybe half the dive? And dives usually last around 40 mins max with a group. So how many dives could I go through before having to change batteries? (I'd rather not have to change batteries while on a dive boat just to ensure that nothing inside gets accidentally wet)..
    Should not effect battery life much as you most likely will not use the modeling light much. Not enough power and beam angle is pretty narrow plus you would usually not want to aim your strobe straight at the subject unless you are doing macro.

I would say with a good set of rechargeable NiMH batteries you should get 300-350 flashes depending on power output.
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DevilDiver View Post
    Should not effect battery life much as you most likely will not use the modeling light much. Not enough power and beam angle is pretty narrow plus you would usually not want to aim your strobe straight at the subject unless you are doing macro.

I would say with a good set of rechargeable NiMH batteries you should get 300-350 flashes depending on power output.
    Thanks. I've decided to get the YS-D1 and invest in a separate focus light later on. For now, I'll just carry my flashlight to help with the focusing if necessary. That should work right?

Grouper
    Images
    Does the YS-D1 come with a diffuser or should I order one separately?

Images
    Nice!

Great strobe, very powerful and fast. The TTL with exposure compensation works great. It comes with 2 diffusers, one gives you 100 degree coverage and the second give you 120 degrees (a difusser usualy drops your exposure by around 1 stop but gives you a wider beam).

Also the YS-D1 comes with two mounts, the traditional YS mount or a ball mount.
    DevilDiver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information