Thread: Large-sized newbie need help

TadPole

Question Large-sized newbie need help

Good morning...
    I found this forum while looking for large-sized gear. I am a complete newbie at this whole diving thing but it's accomplising a lifelong dream. I recently lost over 216lb but I'm still no lightweight. I went for a try-it scuba class and was able to squeeze into a 3x mens shortie wetsuit. The 2x non-weight-integrated BCD barely fit and I had troubles balancing the shoulder straps. The weight belt itself did not fit at all so all I could really do was learn to use the regulator and some surface dives. All in all though, it only fueled me to want to pursue even further. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for larger BCDs maybe with the weight-integrated or any other suggestions for a new learner.

Images
    Don't buy, rent until after you are certified and then have a few dives under your belt. 10 or so dives will give you an idea of what will work and fit for you. I live in Texas and dive mostly Cozumel and don't use a wet suit at all. Most of the major manufacturers make BC that are expandable. Check with a reputable dive store like Scuba Toys to help with the fit.

I like weight integrated with shot weights and not the hard kind. Much more comfortable. Hope this helps.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I'm a fellow big dude. I'll sell you my Zeagle Brigade. CHEAP!
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Grouper
    Images
    Gratz on the 216lb!

Images
    Wow that's a big weight change....congrats and keep it up!

If BB's Brigade will work for you....that is an excellent setup. That is going to by my next BCD when my current Cobra wears out.

Maybe if you tell us a little more we can help better....where are you located? How big are you now?

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    I weighed in at 298 and got a Zeagale escape and it adjusted out. Now I losing weight and will have to adjust ir back down. If you are near dallas go to Scuba Toys and try them on. If not go to as many dive shops that you can trying different ones on. IF ANYONE TRIES TO SAY THEY DON'T MAKE ONE YOUR SIZE IS SAYING THEY DON'T CARRY A LINE THAT DOES.aLSO DIVES SEVERAL DIVES WITH DIFFERENT STYLES . I found the back inflate did squeeze me like the jacket ones.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by notabrady View Post
    Good morning...
    I found this forum while looking for large-sized gear. I am a complete newbie at this whole diving thing but it's accomplising a lifelong dream. I recently lost over 216lb but I'm still no lightweight. I went for a try-it scuba class and was able to squeeze into a 3x mens shortie wetsuit. The 2x non-weight-integrated BCD barely fit and I had troubles balancing the shoulder straps. The weight belt itself did not fit at all so all I could really do was learn to use the regulator and some surface dives. All in all though, it only fueled me to want to pursue even further. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for larger BCDs maybe with the weight-integrated or any other suggestions for a new learner.
    Give me an idea of how big you are. I just posted a Scubapro Accent NT BC. I have a buddy that tried it on and was, he lost weight, able to wear it. I think he was 3x at the time.

Guppy
    Pinnacle makes wetsuits in King 1 and King 2 - they are similar to 3X and 4x but not as long. The standard sizes assume anyone that large is 6'5". This might be a good place to look for a long suit.

I dive a Oceanic Probe LX BCD in a 2XL. It has a pretty large adjustment range and is weight integrated. If you live near Eastern PA, I will let you try it.

TadPole
    I had a similar problem to you when I got certified. First was fit of BCD, I went to a Transpac (I actually on the tall side and the normal BCDs just were to tight/uncomfortable) I was able to adjust it outwards to fit me better. I actually sold the transpac and now went to a BP/W (personal choice) for an even more custom style fit.

As for the weight belt issue, my Instructor actually suggested a weight harness/suspenders sort of like the ones you will see divers in Dry Suits wear. Got those and one of the instructors who was in the pool and did the open water openly commented that if I showed the same skills in confined water while in OW he would fail me, but he said he was absolutely amazed that one little gear change affected my diving ability that much. I use a DUI Weight and Trim harness.

TadPole
    I'm a big boy as well now a days and I dive very comfortably with the aqualung axiom i3 in 3xl. I prefer a jacket of course over the back inflate. I certainly love the i3 inflation as well, it makes life just that much better. Oh, it's weight integrated as well.

Thread Information