Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I - GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

Images

Should I - GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition

So, I'm saving up Birthday money and thinking about buying the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Those that have it tell me what you think of it. Any recommendations?

So what is the difference between the black, silver, surfer, etc.

What I think I want is the Hero3 and understand it already comes with the dive housing. I should get the BacPac to see the video - will it fit in the housing or do I need to buy something else. Thinking maybe extra Battery packs. I hear the USB charger isn't the best so need a wall charger...but wouldn't a standard USB wall charger work as well?

Are there Red Filters available for it?

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    I got a hero 3 white edition. Yes get a separate charger ( available on amazon for 26.00 with two extra batteries). I didn't get the BacPac as I have no problem pointing it at what I want to photograph., plus it drains the battery quicker . the big difference in the 3 models is mp recorded. I only viewing my videos on a laptop so I don't need them blown up large. plus it was 199.00 verus 300.00 I used it to buy a floaty handle, extra batteries and a red snapon filter. All were purchased on Amazonw. Haven't dove with it,next week, but have shot a lot of above water getting used to it.hope this helps.

So what is the difference between the black, silver, surfer, etc.
    Primarily resolution and video modes/price: HERO3 Cameras | More Powerful in Every Way | Most Advanced GoPro
    The Black seems to have some better low-lite capability also. I might want that if adding a red filter since they cut down available light.
    will it fit in the housing
    Apparently. http://gopro.com/camera-accessories/lcd-touch-bacpac

What's Included

• LCD Touch BacPac™
    • Touch backdoor
    • Standard backdoor
    • Skeleton backdoor
    • Protective Case

Are there Red Filters available for it?
    Lots of them - I'd guess about 50+ different ones - google it.

There's a forum on SB dedicated to GoPro video. GoPro Video Probably find answers to all your questions there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Grouper
    The touchpac come with an extra bigger door to fit it, definetly helps in framing your shot. Would recommend http://www.wetresolution.com.au./snake-river-prototyping-gopro-accesories/ as a filter as you can fit any 55 mm filter to it. ( I have been playing with close-up filters ). A separate charger is a must as charging in camera (via computer or USB charger ) is problematic.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Images
    Thanks for all the information. I've been combing through the net looking at information....there's so much out there about these. It's great to hear first-hand from those that currently use them and that is coming across. For several years, I've been using a digital tape video camera built to be used above water with a homemade enclosure for underwater. Works good, but really want to transition to digital. I think I like the idea of downsizing in size since my current system is rather bulky.

Let me ask one more question - "What do you not like about the GoPro"?

Snagel

Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Let me ask one more question - "What do you not like about the GoPro"?
    I was thinking of buying a Black also earlier this spring but the non-starter for me with all the action cams (GoPro, Sony, Contour) is always the fixed focus and lack of zoom. But I shoot $4K worth of video gear so may be biased.

I think they're fine as POV cameras. I thought of finding one used and strapping it firmly to my BC and letting it capture entire dives.

Barracuda
    Images
    Tried it out in the hottub & pool today. It does have some fish eye effect but produced accepted video. I did not put my floaty handle and it is on the small size to hold. so when I dive I will definatelaty have a handle.

Grouper
    shoot with narrow FOV it will help, the rest of the fish eye can be removed in most editing programs

Barracuda Founding Member
    Images
    The following were all shot with the GoPro Hero 3 Black by yours truly using only the camera/housing combo out of the box, and processed using Adobe Premiere Pro CS6. No viewfinder, and using a Aquapod for additional stability when shooting.

Editing was done on a five-year-old Sony VAIO laptop (VPGF126FM) within 24 hours of the shoot.

I hope this is some help to folks.

http://youtu.be/vmgJjN7Q-hI

http://youtu.be/xkUW2uHQu6w
    John Lewis--the PlatypusMan!

Images
    Thanks for the vids....do you remember what your settings were for the underwater shots?

Honestly, the colors for the underwater didn't seem to "pop"...not sure if that was the environment or how the camera sees it. I've read that you should shoot in protune for underwater and color correct using their software. You can see the issue with the auto-white balance with the stingrays as it flashes a couple times trying to adjust. Not trying to be a critic here this gives me a good idea of how the camera works based on the research I've done. The above water shots look great.

Again Thanks for posting the vids.

Snagel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information