Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Global Entry ?

Barracuda
    Images

Global Entry ?

Has anyone signed up & used the Global Entry card when returning from overseas. Fellow worker just got back from 2 weeks of diving in the Bahamas and said it was great. Said it took longer to walk from the plane to passport control than it did to get out the door to baggage area and outside with bags ( my typical wait at DFW is about 1 to 1 1/2 hours to get thourgh). Thinking about it.

Guppy
    Images
    Is it worth 100$ to not stand in line for 5 years? It was worth it to me but that's your call. Yes you bypass the immigration line and go to a kiosk and it takes about 1 minute, you get a receipt and go get your luggage. I have always got to the luggage carousel before the luggage. So you still wait there. Then you go to customs and that has a global entry line also. It is also quick due to the fewer people using it. You used to opt in for TSA Pre check, it may be automatic now not sure. Pre check is faster if the check point has it, not all do. You get to leave your shoes on, leave pc's in the carry on and a few other things that make it easier. Here is the link to get you started. https://goes-app.cbp.dhs.gov/main/goes
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Shark Founding Member
    We just got it and used it when we returned from Bonaire in Saturday. Did we feel it was worth it? Heck yeah! But we didn't just get it for easier entry from overseas, we also wanted to immediately qualify for TSA pre-check for domestic travel on participating airlines. It's THAT benefit we're most excited about, but we did love it for international travel.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Images
    Best thing since sliced bread. No more standing behind 800 people 'cause we landed after two 747's.
    --Zeagle Eagle

I just got my Nexus card (travel between Canada and USA). I use the same machines as Global Entry and use TSA-precheck. I spend more time in USA than home (Canada). Monday I breezed through immigration/security around 7 minutes (normally 1.5 to 2 hours). It was fantastic. If you spend more than a few minutes in line for TSA/Homeland Security/Immigration/etc. then this will definitely save you time. For me it averages out to $0.20 a trip but I travel A LOT.

Things to note: If you have a card and others in your party do not, they cannot come through with you; they have to go the slow route. However, I'd rather be standing at luggage carousel than in a customs line. I can use my phone at the luggage carousel but not in line for TSA/Homeland Security/etc.. Lets me call for a cab, check email, call someone, etc.

Also, at YYZ they make you wait in a holding area before you can go into customs. Two weeks ago I showed up early so I could go through customs/security, grab breakfast and do some work on my computer. Ended up sitting in the waiting area for an hour and hardly has time to get breakfast then rush for my plane. This week I went through the Global Entry/Nexus line and no one even checked if I was early. Was able to sit inside and have a leisure breakfast. Next week I'm sleep in an extra hour and will still have time for a leisure breakfast.

Since I use it 2+ times a week, it is hard for me to say if it is worth it for a causal traveller. It definitely worth it to me.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    I don't want anybody to get a Global Entry card. Right now it's a great deal no lines. If the word gets out, it will be just like all the other lines.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    I don't think the platinum global entry is worth the extra $50 bucks
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    okay, you guys have me convinced I need to look into it. After over an hour in line in Houston coming back from Roatan, yuck, it would have been nice. We currently are only doing one trip a year out of the country though, so that might not make it worth the $$.

Barracuda
    Images
    Last night I bit the bullet and applied for a global entry card. After my last 3 1/2 hour line I think it's worth it for my 2 trips a year plus getting past TSA checkpoints easier. Thanks for all the info. Great web site this is!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barracuda
    I applied last Friday, seems like the typical approval time is taking about 3 weeks, than appointments are about a month out. I really hated spending the money, but everytime I come back into Houston, I want to kick myself for not applying for it. My next trip will be at Christmas, so am sure it will be money well spent.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information