Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help with Honeymoon destination

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    Curacao for shore diving. Coz for most and varied marine life. Bahamas for sharks. Which is the most important?
    Yes!

Seriously, that's the tough question. That and price.

Interestingly enough, my fiance got looking into a yearly trip our LDS makes to CoCo View resort in Roatan... they book the entire resort and she seems to have fallen in love with the idea. She really likes the idea of going with people we know and having it all organized by them. Plus, they've been going there for years and know the DM's well as well as the best places to dive. It's way more expensive than our original plan but if that's what she wants then I'm all for it!!

Roatan was pretty high on my list at first but we dismissed it for a number of reasons (price being one of the main ones). The shore diving at CoCo View is unlimited on their house reef and looks pretty good from what I've seen. They actually have a couple of reefs as well as a couple of wrecks to dive on. The nightlife won't be there but they do have daytime activities we can do (zip-lining, kayaking, etc...) and she says the romantic aspect of just hanging out at the (small) beach or in the room (literally right on the water) when we're not diving is just fine with her.

This will push the wedding/honeymoon back to the end of August next year but that's ok with both of us. Gives us more time to save for the extra costs.

Still not set in stone, but it sure looks good at the moment! Would appreciate any reviews/recommendations/advice from anyone who's been there (as I look through past threads on this site for the same).

Thanks,

Mark

Guppy
    Images
    Sorry I wasn't trying to restate the obvious, we just don't know what's the most important to you. I just got back from Roatan, not Coco View but just east of there at Turquoise Bay. It's hot and humid this time of year. The diving wasn't the best I have seen but I had the most enjoyable trip because of the people I dove with. The dive op was great "SubwayWater Sports" and the other divers. Going with people you know can make or break the trip, choose them wisely.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Images
    The shore diving at CocoView isn't bad...hey it's blue water. They have a large wreck in the cove called the Prince Albert. I don't remember much reef in that area mostly sand with some coral spread around. The boat dives on the reef IMHO were some of the best reef dives I've dove. I really like Roatan's reefs. The boat will go out each day pretty much at the same time. You can be on it or not, but pay for the package. Don't forget about the tip in the end...because of the many dives it can add up.

I did a dive shop trip to Bonaire several years back. I really liked the fact that it was my first time in Bonaire and having people that I knew and who would point in the right direction was worth it's gold. I found I could hang out with them as much or as little as I wanted, but always had somebody to go to with questions.

You will like Cocoview if you want something laid back. Like others said, going into town for the nightlife really is a hassle from there. They do have some nightly things going on at the resort that are fun.

Snagel

I wouldn't suggest doing it every night but if you're set on Cocoview, they can provide transport to the West End as reasonably as you're going to find. They (and most resorts) have special arrangements with certain van or taxi drivers. See if you can find a group willing to go together, we were 8 and rode all over the island for $10pp each way. The driver either waited for us or returned when he said he would. Not from Cocoview but thru our dive operator.

Honestly the West End is the best Thur/Fri nights anyway. Earlier in the week it rolls up pretty early at night. We stayed there and mid-week we were the only ones walking around much after 10pm. Flights to Roatan more so than some dive destinations work on a Sat-Sat basis so things are geared around that. Plus your trip is likely Sat-Sat since your LDS is booking the whole resort. Friday is the best pub-crawl night because it's often DM graduation. We partied with a group from Coconut Tree (our dive op) till about 2AM. Fortunately we had a mid-morning flight.

Cocoview also can set up trips to the mainland to tour the Mayan Ruins. http://www.cocoviewresort.com/copan-tour.php - you might enjoy that. Some people say the Dolphin snorkel at Anthony's Key is better than the dive also - certainly cheaper. Compared to other Dolphin Dives I've done, it's reasonable also - like $135 for non-guests.

Grouper
    Tamalewood (Albuquerque NM), United States
    Images
    I just got back from CocoView ... was there the last week in June. You can read my trip report and view my videos here:

Trip Report: http://www.rnrscuba.net/2013_Roatan/...ripReport.html

all my trip videos: https://vimeo.com/album/2443620

It is NOT fancy, it is not a dump either. It is homey, rustic, and charming. Food is family style all you can eat, nothing fancy. Diving is 24/7 all you can handle. Literally... you can grab a tank any time of day or night, and walk right out into the water just steps from your room.

The front yard, as it is called

and the shore diving

BIG thing you need to know about CocoView Resort........ you must book EARLY. There are only 23 rooms, so it books up waaaay ahead of time. Especially the over-water rooms. Go to their website to check out prices and their video with insides of rooms.
    www.cocoviewresort.com

this is the kind of place I would have wanted to go for MY honeymoon!

robin

Images
    I think I'm just going to sit here look at the picture and daydream for awhile.......ahhhhhh.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    Scubarobin, You are pure evil! That's a bit of torture for those of us who haven't been to CCV yet.

Nice to say the least.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    Tehehehe

Grouper
    Images

Images
    You're killin' me....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information