Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggest a small tank

Grouper
    Images

Suggest a small tank

For some reason, I can't quite get the whole equalize by plugging your nose and blowing out thing, so my technique for equalizing involves taking a short quick breath while wiggling my jaw. This works no problem while diving, but for snorkeling, there's no air to take in, and this leaves me feeling a bit left behind as my dive partner (I'm gathering evidence to support my case that she may in fact be a fish) goes down and gets close-up looks at things. So I'm looking to be able to cheat while snorkeling by having a small tank with me. Obviously, the first one that came to mind is the Spare Air 3.0 cubic foot tank that they sell at Sport Chalet because that's where I did all of my certifications and it's been waved in my face so many times.

Is there another option for me? Obviously, I'm looking for light-weight and it doesn't need to have a large capacity. However, I've always appreciated the ability to kill 2 birds with one stone, so if there is a happy medium in there somewhere where I can have a small, light-weight tank that I can use while snorkeling and then also use as a legitimate redundant air supply while scuba diving (enough to give me a safety stop), I'd consider that option as well.

Thanks,
    db

Megalodon
    Images
    db83, when you add a tank, it's no longer snorkeling and is now Scuba. The risk of barotrauma - pneumothorax with your plan is (imho) extremely high. Now for a redundant safety, I would recommend at least a 19 cu ft, small enough to be unobtrusive and large enough to give you a viable reserve.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    Thanks for your concern navy. Perhaps I should have clarified. I wouldn't think of going much deeper than 15 feet without my full scuba gear anyways. This is just a means to get down for a quick peek in occasional 30 second spurts.

Shark
    Barotrauma is more likely to occur at shallow depths, because ambient pressure changes more quickly.

Images
    As said, the shallow depths is the "kill area" so I too have concern about what you are proposing.....not a good idea.

Let me make sure I'm understanding the problem. You are snorkeling and you take a breath of air and descend. As you descend you need to clear your ears and the "hold the nose and blow" doesn't work for you. I'm not getting why the "wiggle the jaw" doesn't work. What's the difference here whether you have a reg or snorkel in your mouth....maybe it's obvious but I can't picture it in my mind here for some reason.

Snagel

Grouper
    Images
    The way I equalize is I breath in a little as I wiggle my jaw. It's the small influx of air that helps. So my idea is to take a small tank of air with me, and if I see the need to go down a bit, and I need to equalize, I can take a quick puff in, equalize, and of course exhale on the way up.

Images
    Ahhhh got it, you have to take in a small breath of air to make it work. Not sure if I do the same or not. Again, introducing compressed air raises the red flags. The key like scuba is to make sure you are breathing out on the ascent, but you already know that.

Anyway, you might want to view this:

http://staff.washington.edu/ekay/

Snagel

Shark
    You are probably already doing this, but it's worth mentioning. When you pinch your nose, look up toward the surface. That will open up the Eustachian tubes.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Consider also that when snorkeling you most likely are descending in a head down position. If you have not already cleared at the surface and continuing to do so by the time you reach 10-15ft you most likely are already feeling pressure and will be unable to clear.

I have to add that I agree with the opinions posted above regarding the dangers of free diving with a pony bottle.
    DevilDiver

Megalodon
    Images
    Snagel's link is great. a lot of good information beyond just ear issues. But for ears, look at this article: http://staff.washington.edu/ekay/MEbaro.html 8 different techniques that will help.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information