Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tips and Tricks for the GoPro Hero video system

Grouper
    by the way, what kind of machine / software are you editing on
    that can quikcly become a major source of aggravation
    I have a handheld canon camcorder. it shoots good video but only up to 1080p
    it uses an avchd compression model and it drove me nuts trying to edit it on my laptop. skipping and just poor performance

once I got the gopro I had the same problem. HD video is extremely resource dependent
    finnally got a new machine for my editing
    I980 processor, 24 gb ram, 2 1gb graphics cards
    then got adobe suite cs5.5 that would leverage all that hardware

now I can cut through higher bitrate HD video like butter. even the 2.7k

Images
    Wow, nice set up. I am not nearly so lucky. My desktop is an I7 intel 960 with 16GB of ram and one video card. It is water cooled so I can overclock it to almost 4.0GhZ. My video card is a little older. I think its an Nvidia 8600GT. I run 64bit Windows 8. The only saving grace is my Samsung SSD and I have over 10 GB of storage. I haven't done much video editing although I have nearly every piece of software available. I mostly use Windows Movie Maker and Pinnacle 12. Most of my editing consists of adding music, titles and such. I haven't had the time to get into the details of picture quality although I am beginning to study up on it. Just editing photos is an entire ball game. My current video camera is a JVC GZ HD300. It's small, compact does HD 1080p and I have a nice ikelite case and some ikelite lights for it. It does a nice job; but, as you probably know the software that comes with it is a piece of crap and it's a pain to get it into Movie Maker or Pinnacle. The whole setup with the underwater case is rather large for taking on trips and bumps me up against my 70lb limit. My laptop is a netbook and totally inadequate for even viewing the video. I think it has a 1.6 Atom processor. Snoozearoonie. I use it for email and skype and checking flights. I have to wait to get home to edit.

I think I can add a couple of new video cards to my system to bring me back into the 21st century. Everything else seems to be okay.
    Last edited by Zeagle Eagle; 08-18-2013 at 17:53.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    try this tip for editing on slower computers i have not tried this
    http://www.goprofanatics.com/editing...lrv-files.html

Images
    Wow, I bookmarked that page for sure. I really like the part when you copy the low res into the high res all your corrections go with it. Can't wait to try it. Have to wait a week or more though. Driving to Cali on Saturday. Any diving in Lemoore...lol.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    That is way cool, I never export out of cineform but I do use it to import onto my computer because the .avi file it makes is controlled with metadata.
    Any changes you make in cineform update the file even if that file is open in another program.
    So if I move it to adobe and find the protune preset is to saturated I just open it back up in cineform and tone it down.

Grouper
    cant find pricing but the macro looks interesting
    http://www.sealantern.com/13-camera-lenses

Grouper
    I use this, http://www.snakeriverprototyping.com...ilter-adapters , fits ANY 55 mm thread and just snaps on/off, have been playing with close up filters underwater and polarizing filters abovewater. Their red filter works very well, but do remember it cuts down on the amount of light available and I have found just adjusting the colour balance later in the computer gets easier with practice.
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information