Thread: I may take the plunge next year

Grouper
    Images

I may take the plunge next year

My son is coming from Germany to live here in the States in October so it looks like my xmas diving plans may fall flat. So I will have a little extra cash come next spring. I started pricing stuff I have wanted to do for some time kinda bucket list thing. At the top of my list is the Caymans. By the time I put a live aboard or even a 10-12 day beach vacation together I was well over 3k

I have wanted to Belize for some time too which is not as expensive but I am wonder if it is so much different than Coz after all it's right down the street.

So Chinacat's words started dancing in my head "get out of your comfort zone".

Take the plunge and head back to Asia after all these years?

I found Sulawasi on many top ten lists. The flight is expensive but once your there it's very cheap and the diving is amazing! The flight is 26 hours plus layovers. It sounds grueling. What an adventure though and I need some adventure.

Images
    Definitely sounds like an adventure. Would love to do the Asian Dives, but the 24-hour flights is something I would hate. I can't sleep on airplanes and get antsy with the 4-5 hour flights to Bonaire.

Snagel

Images
    Don't forget to plan for the jet lag.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Images
    I have been researching a bit and it sounds like Emirates Air and Singapore Airlines have done a lot in the way of in flight entertainment (IFE) with Emirates Air being the better of the two. If I can watch movies the whole time and cat nap I think it could be ok.

Honestly its also contingent on some weight loss. I don't want to be the fat guy in the middle seat everyone complains about.

Barracuda
    Images
    I've found that traveling east to Egypt (20 Hours travel) as most flights leave in the eveing I can sleep a lot of the way. We found a flight the last time that left Cairo at 300 am so I slept most of the way back too. This time the eastbound is typical afternoon from DFW. From Cairo leaves at 200 am but have 5 hours in Frankfurt so it may not be as good. This seems to help with jetlag for me. Talk to your dr & get some sleep medicine, my brother has a prescription for it and it knocks him out no matter if he just got up.

Grouper
    I'm no good sleeping on planes, and I suffer horribly from jet lag. But what is really interesting to me is that diving seems to fix my jet lag really fast. If I stay on land, it usually takes me about two weeks (!) to get over the jet lag from the eastern side of the US to my time zone here in Thailand. But if I just get one good night's sleep and then start diving, within a couple of days I'm all sorted out.

If you need help with Asia diving, I'm your gal! I have insights about the whole region and contacts with all the best ops (including in Sulawesi).
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

Grouper
    If anybody needs to contact me about diving in SE Asia, please write directly and not through ScubaToys. For some reason my IP has been banned and repeated requests to the site admin to unblock it have not even resulted in a reply. Sigh. It's really hard for me to log in now.
    DIVE with me in THAILAND!
    Gekko Scuba Divers, Phuket

Thread Information