Thread: How late is too late to go diving in Fort Lauderdale?

Cool How late is too late to go diving in Fort Lauderdale?

Greetings folk,

I am coming to the end of my current contract and started looking for a new contract some where (end of November). My company has a need for me in the Fort Lauderdale, FL area and I'm wondering if I should push to get on that project. The office will be 30 minutes due west of Fort Lauderdale in Weston, FL. I'm thinking about driving down with all my equipment but only if I can get evening dives in.

So I'm wondering is it really 30 minutes from Weston, FL to the east coast if I leave the office around 5pm. Is there any good shore diving or will I have to hitch a ride on a dive boat? Is it a feasible plan to drive from the office at 5pm, get in one or two dives, grab dinner then head back to the hotel by 10pm? I'd love to be able to get some diving in through the week. I will be flying home on every Friday afternoon and returning every Sunday night until the project is over. So diving the weekends would be out. I'll probably stay one or two weekends just so I can go north to Jupiter and the Blue Heron bridge but mostly diving around Fort Lauderdale.

I also don't know if there are any divers on my project. So I might not to find a buddy to go diving with me. I'm hoping I can find someone at a local dive shop to help out there.

If none of this is feasible I might try to get on some other project. I got no diving in this year and I really need to get wet.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda Founding Member
    I have done beach dives at night in Ft Lauderdale short swim(for me) to the 1st and 2nd reef
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

What time do you start your beach dives? In Lake Ontario there really isn't anything to see on a night dive (3 foot visibility and no marine life). Is there a lot to see in Fort Lauderdale on a night dive?

Barracuda Founding Member
    hmmm... the best way I found to dive the reefs at night is to dive the same reef during the day and see how different it is, I realize your can't do the but yes there are things to see. If you go to the 1st reef, it's very shallow(20-35ft) so your viz could be your depth.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Thanks cgvmer. Worst case I'll spend a weekend, go diving on the weekend during the day then night dives during the week.

Guppy
    I would recommend to touch base with Pavan at Dixie Divers. He is very knowledgeable on local scuba. Located at Deerfield Beach. He also rents bottles, refills, etc., if you need that.

My instructor does shore dives near Lauderdale by the Sea. Mostly checkouts for new students. I hate the pay parking. I hate shore diving, sand everywhere......cheap though.
    Adjunct Staff at The Captain Morgan Rum Research Facility and Taste Testing Lab.

Thanks for the advice Fireplug. Looks like I'm going to have to file it for the future. Turns out my current client came up with more money and I'm staying in Ohio. I get the official news on Thursday.

I haven't been wet all year. So I have to find something soon. If I cannot get on a Florida project I might just have to fly down for a weekend.

Thread Information