Thread: Anyone ever hear of Xcalak

Grouper

Anyone ever hear of Xcalak

cant seem to get a flight from here to there but looks interesting
    we are off the beaten path type folks, this looks like it fits the bill

Images
    There is an airport with a runway long enough for Lear jets and small planes. Driving is the preferred method of transportation but fill up first before the long haul down here! Gas is available on a good day but there are no gas stations, and don't be surprised if the locals check you out as you pass. They don't get to see many tourist. It's just north of Belize and Amber Gris, so I am thinking that the puddle jumper from Belize to Amber Gris will go there; but, I don't know for sure. I think they were called tropic air. The question is are there any dive ops there?

I want a complete trip report with pixs when you get back Pyrate. It sounds like it's right up my alley too.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Xcalak is about 4-5 hrs. drive south of Cancun. Best option is to get flight into Cancun and rent a vehicle, there is bus service but I am very sure you will want your own transporation.

We have been to Mahajaul/Xcalak 3 times, if you are looking to get off the beaten path (Think of Playa Del Carmen about 30 years ago) this is a great area.

Here is a thread I started from the last trip... http://forum.scubatoys.com/showthread.php?t=39032
    DevilDiver

Images
    From the web:

Local diving
    is so fantastic that even if a trip to Banco Chinchorro is not possible due to weather, finances, or not enough divers for the Banco Chinchorro experience you will have a unique experience comparable to no other on the Mexican Caribbean Coast. The local dive sites abound, starting from the North going South:
    Hob Na, Santa Julia, Poza Rica, Blanquizar, Ciudad Undida, Siete Cocos, Doņa Nica,
    Los Caņones, Quebrado, G Spot, La Poza, La Pozeta, Blanquizarea, Portilla, Coral Garden, La Chimenea, Scott's Playground and loads more that are secret finds of the local operators.

XTC Dive Center
    offers trips to Banco Chinchorro via their high speed boat, the Tzimin-Ha (sea horse in Maya). Banco Chinchorro is a pristine dive area approximately 20 miles offshore and northeast of Xcalak. Banco Chinchorro is a 30 mile long and 15 mile wide atoll. There are many reefs inside the main reef, and an unknown number of shipwrecks. This beautiful reef with four small, uninhabited islands peeking above the azure waters is bordered by breath taking walls and sloping reefs all around. There are shipwrecks in waters as shallow as ten feet, with old cannons scattered across the bottom. Banco Chinchorro is home to abundant marine life, with hundreds of species of fish, coral, and other sea life seldom seen elsewhere. XTC Dive Center offers the only boat to Banco Chinchorro from Xcalak. They also offer a complete dive facility for your diving adventures.

--Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Most Visitors to Xcalak arrive at the Cancun Airport and and get a Rental Car. Many well known Rental Car Companies are available. The drive to Xcalak takes around 5 hours with normal stops along the way. If you arrived in the afternoon at the Cancun Airport you should consider staying overnight in Cancun, Playa del Carmen, or Tulum, to break-up your drive to not drive at night. It is not recommended to Drive at night for many reasons, wildlife on the road, no street lighting, narrow roads with no shoulders, and many miles of only Jungle ... Highway 307 is nice and newly widened for an enjoyable trip, but there is long stretches of 'nothing' that makes daytime driving easier.

Due to the Remote Location coming by Bus is not easy because of limited Bus Service. Xcalak has 2 Arrivals (11 AM and 8 PM) and 2 Departures (5 AM and 2 PM) of the Caribe Bus Line a day. Coming by Bus is time consuming, and the only direct Bus to Xcalak is from Chetumal, not from Cancun...

If you want to leave the driving to others you can hire passenger Van Transportation, vans with capacity for up to 8 passengers and luggage. This is a great option if you are traveling in a group, but under 4 in a group would not be very economical, a large rental car would be a better option.

Another option is a Charter Flight, Xcalak has a small 'Airport' with landing strip. You can take a charter flight from Cancun Airport or Playa del Carmen Airport. Flights are available for 4 to 5 people. Remember to arrange with your hotel pick-up from the Xcalak Airstrip to your hotel.

--Zeagle Eagle

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    There is an airport with a runway long enough for Lear jets and small planes. Driving is the preferred method of transportation but fill up first before the long haul down here! Gas is available on a good day but there are no gas stations, and don't be surprised if the locals check you out as you pass. They don't get to see many tourist. It's just north of Belize and Amber Gris, so I am thinking that the puddle jumper from Belize to Amber Gris will go there; but, I don't know for sure. I think they were called tropic air. The question is are there any dive ops there?

I want a complete trip report with pixs when you get back Pyrate. It sounds like it's right up my alley too.
    Airport is private, not commercial.

There are gas stations, not as many as you would be used too. You can stop for gas in towns on the way down, once in the area there are only a few but everyone knows where they are.

Actually, there are quite a few tourist. Mostly Mexican and South American with some English and Italians, lots of backpacker/campers. Mahajual actually has a cruise ship dock, not anything like you would see in Coz but there is a bunch of tourist dumped out for a couple of hours a few days a week but when they leave it back to sand streets and peace and quiet.

I suggest staying in one of the Eco resorts just south of between Mahajaul and Xcalak. Any questions just let me know...
    DevilDiver

Grouper
    very cool i am intreagued by the reefs, didnt get to dive coz before it became a diving mecca. seems like if i wanted to see reefs like coz of old might be our best chance. wonder how safe it is there

Thread Information