Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Bad About Bonaire?

Images

What's Bad About Bonaire?

My 3rd trip to Bonaire is 2 months away and I'm already starting think about "my paradise". So many positive things have been said about Bonaire, but what do people not like about Bonaire? I thought it would be a good topic and possibly bring out some good information.

So, what do you say, tell me what you don't like about Boniare.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    What's bad about Bonaire? I'll tell you what's bad about Bonaire! I don't get to go, I'm stuck here once again in the dry hell hole called Kansas where the water is too thick to swim and too thin to plow! That my friend, is what's wrong with Bonaire.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Barracuda
    Images
    Getting there is a pain! Very limited flights and most of those are red-eyes.
    (On the other hand I have my flights booked for a trip to Bonaire in early May! Is it too soon to start packing?)
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Grouper
    Ditto getting there. It just takes so long! I've got to get up about 4am on November 5th, drive 3-4 hours, get in to Curacao at 9:40pm, stay overnight, catch a plane in the morning and finally get there about 10:30am on the 6th. Of course, I won't be going back home till the 20th. Don't you feel sorry for me?

Barracuda
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Ditto getting there. It just takes so long! I've got to get up about 4am on November 5th, drive 3-4 hours, get in to Curacao at 9:40pm, stay overnight, catch a plane in the morning and finally get there about 10:30am on the 6th. Of course, I won't be going back home till the 20th. Don't you feel sorry for me?
    Getting there at 10:30 means you miss the briefing so you won't be allowed to dive until the 7th.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Images
    Have to agree, getting there. It seems to cost a little more the other places to fly in. We usually fly out of Atlanta and 4-5 hours later were there.

Food - Really haven't found the greatest places to eat. If anybody has suggestions, would love to hear them.

No tourist. For me this is a plus, but when we do this trip the boy stays home. Simply nothing for him to do.

Snagel

What's bad about Bonaire?
    90% of the shore dive entries...

Quote Originally Posted by John Yaskowich View Post
    Getting there at 10:30 means you miss the briefing so you won't be allowed to dive until the 7th.
    Dive Friends does it all day at 4 of their locations.
    We'll make your shore or boat diving as easy and convenient as possible by providing you with a Bonaire Marine Park orientation at any time or dive location during normal business hours.

Grouper
    Yeah. I used DF last time and this time. As long as they're open I'm good. I'll have plenty of time to do my checkout, shop for food, and fit in 2-3 more dives before I cook dinner. I get an apartment at Coco Palm Garden rather than staying at a resort. I cook for myself and it's not on the water but I get to stay two weeks for the price of one.

Snagel, have a look at the Bonaire Talk forums (http://www.bonairetalk.com/forums/). One of the forums is Dining. If you register you can post and ask specific questions. You may find everything you need just browsing.

Images
    Haven't hit the bonaire talk forum yet. I usually get on it before a trip to see what is going on, but have been resisting this early (2 months away). Don't want to sit a daydream too much this early.

Our last trip we did a lot of cooking in our condo and it worked out pretty good. After a full day of diving we would rather just relax for dinner.

Is the Pizza place still open? We went there our first trip and it was pretty good, but on our 2nd trip my wife was with us and she has allergies to beef and dairy so pizza doesn't work good for her. On our first trip we went to Casblancas and it was good. On our 2nd trip we returned and the food was horrible. We tried a couple places down by the pier and the food wasn't very good either. Maybe we just hit at a bad time.

Speaking of eating out, we learned quick about "island time". Being from the US, we tend to be in such a rush for everything and this was a wake up experience for us on our first trip to Bonaire when eating out. Service is slow and dinner is usually a 2-3 hour event. Not sure I would classify this as something bad about Bonaire, just a cultural difference.

Snagel

Shark Founding Member
    It's such a long flight that we have to go for two weeks.....oh wait, that's not bad, is it. Hmmm....can't think of anything o don't like about Bonaire.
    ScubaToys and Zeagle....it just doesn't get better than that!

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information