Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Bad About Bonaire?

Shark
    Images
    Now that my son isn't working in Curacao anymore , I can go to there instead. Oh wait, next trip to Caribbean must be to Dominica. My sister and her husband moved there and I have yet to visit.

Sine Timore!

Grouper
    Images
    Have to agree the entering on the iron coral does kinda blow. Although I have been doing a lot of research on dive destinations and Bonaire is listed as the #1 shore dive site in the world on a lot of lists. So I think you can put up with a little rough entry.

As far as the flight I flew into Curacao and did the island hop was cheaper and I got three days in Curacao. When I go again I will do the same or fly Island Air out of Charleston they have daily flights to Bonaire last time I checked.

Barracuda
    Images
    There is really good Italian restaurant named Donna & Georgios. They make the best lasagna I have ever eaten.

Images
    We'll have to check it out. Looked it up and it appears to be close to the Divi Flamingo.

Barracuda
    I have only been to Bonaire twice.....

I did not like the food
    I did not like the island itself, nor alot of the people. Some very rude working in shops and restaurants.
    I did not like how the local police turn a blind eye to the crime that seems to be a problem on the island.

I would go back to Bonaire for the great flexibility of shore diving, but it would have to be a extremely good deal on airfare for me to return again.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TRACI View Post
    I have only been to Bonaire twice.....

I did not like the food
    I did not like the island itself, nor alot of the people. Some very rude working in shops and restaurants.
    I did not like how the local police turn a blind eye to the crime that seems to be a problem on the island.

I would go back to Bonaire for the great flexibility of shore diving, but it would have to be a extremely good deal on airfare for me to return again.
    Wow, pretty strait forward, and I tend to agree. But, I truly love the place.

The food, I haven't found the greatest food and this is my wife's biggest issue.

Haven't really noticed people being rude. They are a little stand-offish, but most of the people I've met have been very nice. Not arguing with your point, I just haven't experienced it. As I mentioned earlier the restaurants are an "event" and what I would perceive in the states as bad service is "Island Time" to them. While we are talking about......JUST WHY CAN'T THEY GIVE YOU REFILLS ON YOUR DRINKS!

Local Police - I've often questioned that their response to the many vehicle break-ins is to tell you not to put anything in vehicles that you want to keep and don't lock the doors.

Snagel

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    ... Haven't really noticed people being rude. They are a little stand-offish, ...
    Not my experience at all. Not even stand-offish. Of course I greet everyone with Bon Dia (or Tardi, Nochi as appropriate). I also sprinkle in Mosha Danki (thank you) and Pasa un bon dia (have a good day). There are a few other phrases as well. Even though my pronunciation might be a bit off, the fact that I try is much appreciated and breaks the ice very well.

As far as crime - go to any tourist destination in the states and report the type crime that occurs on Bonaire and see if the police do more than fill out a report. What exactly do you expect the Bonaire police to do? Maybe you're watching too much CSI - maybe they should check for fingerprints or DNA? They don't have the resources to put a cop at every dive site to watch your stuff. They can't be everywhere all the time. Use common sense and you won't have problems.

Barracuda
    I guess the problem I have with the crime issue, is both trips, we witness break in's of vacation rentals, get plate numbers of cars, report to
    Police, BOTH times, cars are registered to cops. So guess I kind of expect a place so dependent on tourism not having their law enforcement part of the problem stealing from tourists. Even talking to locals and ex-pats, they even recognize the problem with crime not being dealt with. There are too many other places I choose to spend my money for vacation and unfortunately Bonaire is not at the top of my list, but just my opinion.

Images
    Interesting...you actually got the plate numbers and gave that to the police and they told you the plates were registered to other cops? Wow!

Fortunately, we have never witnessed a crime, but have seen more than we care of broken glass at dive sites. I've heard stories of condos being broke into while people were sleeping, but don't have any first had knowledge of it. The last time we were there we got off the plane, loaded luggage into back of pickup and headed to the grocery store. The girls went in to buy food and we stayed outside. It got hot in the truck so we got out of the truck and sat nearby waiting and watching many drive and walk slowly by our truck wondering if anybody was with all the luggage. We believe that if we were not there, our luggage would have been gone with the wind.

You do make a good point that going anywhere where tourism is the big money maker and you will have crime. Unfortunately, I also agree that I don't think much is done to curb the crime in Bonaire. No they can't have a cop at every dive site, but they could maybe patrol the dive sites, set up stings, convict anybody stealing. Haven't seen any of that. They just warn you about it and tell you not put valuables in the truck and don't lock the doors on the truck because if they break the window you will pay for it. Regardless, I've always felt safe in Bonaire, but we do use common sense and don't put ourselves in positions to become easy prey.

Snagel

Barracuda
    The owner of the hotel where we stayed was pretty well known I guess at the police station, because he has had so many burglaries at/and around his place. He went with us to give the info to the cops, and they told him it was pretty much a waste of time, since the cars were registered to law enforcement. They justified it that these were not burglaries that we witnessed, just law enforcement in the area patrolling. But both times these guys were entering windows into the rentals, not sure what their idea of patrolling is, lol.

The owner also told us his biggest break in day at his place was always Saturday nights, since most people had their luggage packed and ready to go for the early Sunday flights. I dont mind losing a pair of sunglassess or flip flops on a dive site, but dont want to feel like a have to be on guard at my rental every night.

Maybe things have improved, I have not been to Bonaire since 2010. Reading on BonaireTalk, they were supposed to start alot of neighborhood watch groups, so maybe that will help the problem.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information