Thread: BP/W weight distribution

TadPole

BP/W weight distribution

Since I will be soon buying a Hollis BP/W setup for cold water diving (SS backplate), I am looking into the best way to distribute 34 pounds. I will have a 16 pound weight belt, leaving me with 18 pounds to place on my bcd. Is it possible to distrubute this weight without having to buy an integrated weight system (http://www.hollisgear.com/prodview.asp?id=123)?

Thanks

Barracuda
    Images
    wow. 34# is a crap ton of weight.

steel back plate and steel STA will cover another 8(ish) pounds. looks like your hollis pouches will hold 20#. that means you carry 6# on your belt. you can also thread them through the 2" webbing on your harness.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

TadPole
    Eh, kinda explains why there aren't as many junior divers in the cold waters compared to the tropics.

Quote Originally Posted by riley View Post
    distrubute this weight without having to buy an integrated weight system
    I am thinking that placing 5# each in two trim pockets on the cam bands and then 2-4# threaded on the webbing (although I favour that idea.)

Drysuit? Must be. That is a lot of weight for diving wet. I dive 7mm wet and I need less than half that amount.

I haven't fully thought about diving drysuit yet. For wetsuit I try to put enough weight on a belt so I'm neutral with just my wetsuit and no gear. This way if I have to remove my gear underwater I can do so without becoming buoyant. How much would it take to sink you without your gear? Can you wear that much?

If this is not feasible, i.e. you have to wear all your weight because the gear is never positively buoyant, then you can look into getting a v-weight. These are weights which go between the wing and backplate. Typically 8 to 12 pounds. The rest of the weight can go in pockets on the harness. Or you can thread the weights onto the harness before you put on rings and buckle.

Another problem might be if you are head-heavy you might have to move the weight to lower on your body. Ankle weights or buy another cam strap, put the weights on the cam strap and strap them to the bottom of the tank.

If you have a soft weight belt like http://www.seasoftscuba.com/weight-belt.html you might be able to thread some hard weights on it (if there is room on the belt portion) or just get a belt that is heavier than 16 pounds.
    This signature left intentionally blank

TadPole
    Yes, drysuit (Whites Fusion Sport). I have no idea how much weight I would need to take my gear off and stay neutral, if there was an issue with my gear I would call off the dive and deal with it at the surface. It sounds like a v-weight will be my best bet since I don't want to be increasing my only ditchable weight. Thanks!

Gear trouble isn't the only reason you might need to take your gear off. I've had occasion when I get something caught on my first stage when going through a wreck. I'll slip out of my harness, slide backward, unhook my gear, swim my gear ahead of me until I'm in an area with enough room to get my gear back on then put my gear back on.

If I don't need to I won't call a dive if I can resolve it at depth. Mind you, part of becoming a divemaster was swapping all my gear with my buddy's gear while staying underwater.
    This signature left intentionally blank

TadPole
    Oops, my bad. Come to think of it, removing your bcd in the water (but on the surface) is a ow skill. I will definitely look into how much weight I need to be able to remove my gear without becoming positively buoyant.

Thanks again.

Thread Information