Thread: Help buying new torch

TadPole

Question Help buying new torch

Hi,
    I'm a newbie on night and/or low visibility diving, and since I'm planning do some of these in a very near future I'm thinking on buying a torch that can be not too big, as powerful as possible, robust and, of course, not too expensive.
    Right now I'm thinking on this particular one:

http://assemtron.co.uk/

Does anyone know it? Is it ok?
    Thanks in advance.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by alph View Post
    Hi,
    I'm a newbie on night and/or low visibility diving, and since I'm planning do some of these in a very near future I'm thinking on buying a torch that can be not too big, as powerful as possible, robust and, of course, not too expensive.
    Right now I'm thinking on this particular one:

http://assemtron.co.uk/

Does anyone know it? Is it ok?
    Thanks in advance.
    I don't know it but from looking at the website, these are my thoughts:

1. The integral notepad is a waste of space.
    2. 120 minutes (two hours) of battery life is poor. I use my dive light on every dive and if I bought this one, I would have to switch the battery every two dives.

I would suggest a company or two, but I am not familiar with what is on the market in the UK. Take a trip to your local dive shop and see what they have to offer. Even if the lights there aren't in your price range, I'm sure it will give you a starting point of what to look for in a light. Good luck!

TadPole
    I just noticed that Hollis is sold in the UK as well so be sure to check out the LED6 Torch (ST), it is a excellent light with a great price and if you want a bigger light down the road, it will be a nice backup.

--
    Riley

I'd have to +1 what riley has said. Keep the dive light simple.

• The notepad feature seems unnecessary if you are keeping it simple.
    • Most dive lights are designed not to turn on in your kit bag; this should not cost more.
    • LED lights are cool and have come a long. Taking old bulb technology and adding circuitry to keep it cool out of the water does not keep it simple.
    • It isn't out yet!?!! How do we know it doesn't have bugs that need to be ironed out? Don't be an early adopter unless there is SIGNIFICANT saves.
    • They don't talk about the lumens or really anything about brightness (lux would be better)

Have a look at some of the lights at http://itorch.ca. The information they provide is good. Not sure if you can get these in the UK as they are a Canadian company. Some of their 'small' hand held lights would serve as better than a first light for many dives and even good as a backup light for a tech diver.

The Evo is a good light for something which runs on regular batteries. A wider angle means the light won't be as strong over a distance. So 220 lumens at 18 degrees will be a focused beam and really bright at a distance. Where 220 lumens at 80 degrees isn't going to be bright for more than a few feet. You also want to try them out in the dark or at least a dimly lit room. If low visibility is around 20 feet or less than you might want a wider beam (25-70). The wider the beam the more lumens you'll need. Keep it under 500 lumens and it should be affordable with a good battery life.

The Master is brighter than the Evo at 400 lumens and same degree beam but the battery life is a lot shorter (1.5 hours at max rather than 3 hours). If you are in low visibility diving or night diving, I'd say the Evo specs are a good set. See if you can find something local with the same specs.

The iTorch site also has battery suggestions. All of these are reasonably priced here. Less than 170 Pound. WAY less actually.
    This signature left intentionally blank

TadPole
    Hi again,
    First thank you all for your posts.
    Actually, as scubadiver888 pointed out, that was exactly what I spotted right away - the lumens/pounds ration. The fact is that my budget is not big and it seemed to me to be a starting point. It's more than 2.5 lumens/pound.
    I'll try to find out more about this.
    Thanks.

TadPole
    Hi guys,
    I *was* going to start a thread on this topic, but seeing as alph beat me to the punch, I don't need to.
    I am in a similar boat to alph - looking to invest in some new diving equipment.

What are your collective thoughts on this Dive Torch ??

I had not previously considered that the lumens/pound ratio plays a role in the decision making process, so thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Thanks

Grouper
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Images
    I built my own canister light and as a backup I have a Dorcy light. I have the 180 lumens. This little light rivals my canister. I think Piranha makes a similar light.

A couple years ago there was a lot of talk about this lights.

http://www.dorcy.com/

Snagel

Images
    Actually, I'm pretty sure this is the one I have:

http://www.dorcy.com/p-163-41-0467-2...n-dive-ii.aspx

Nice light!

Snagel

Images
    Torches and punkah louvres, you have to love the English.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Thread Information