Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how high do you wear your tank?

Wink

Nothing like a good rant to help decompress!!! Not only did he get the shark in there, but slammed snorkels, cattle boats, and yuppies!!

Grouper
    Images
    it was epic
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

The Bards will sing songs of this DEED!!!

Images
    Mine rides just high enough so I don't hit my head on the valve. I have a strap on my BC that goes over the valve so the tank is in the same position all the time. Works great for me and no readjusting when the DM puts the new tanks on either.

Snagel

Images
    What snagel said.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    I with Charon, the loop handle of my BC goes over the valve so it is the same all the time. I am obsessive about my safety gear both above & below water.

Grouper
    Quote Originally Posted by BUDMAN View Post
    I notice in a lot of photo's of divers that the tank is riding at a level that puts the tank valve about 2-3 inches below the shoulder. I have always wore my tank so that the top of the tank valve is about 2-3 above the shoulder. This just seems more comfortable for me and I can reach the valve fairly easily. What's the reason for wearing the tank so low?

Because in 66 and 68 when I took my first SCUBA courses from YMCA and NAUI we were interacted to adjust the tank position to place the valve centered between the shoulder blades. This accomplished two things, one still relevant to divers today, first, it positioned the then still popular and mainstream double hose regulator optimally for best performance and secondly, still relevant, it set the tank low enough that one was not constantly being banged in the head by the regulator, regardless of single or double.

I still prefer my tank valve centered roughly on a line between my shoulder blades, it aids my trim, feels more comfortable, does not hit my head when entering the water or while diving horizontal or head down. The REASON so many people where their single tank rigs so high now, there are two reasons again, first, the bent metal tech plates popular with certain crowds are incorrect for single tank use and where originally intended for double tanks. The position of the double bands, in order to fasten the upper band, forces the tank abnormally high as does as well, the center channel and associated STAs. Secondly, there is this preoccupation with being able to reach valves which on a single tank is kind of, meh, who cares really. In order to reach my valve I need to reach back and push/lift the tank forward/up, no big deal. But if you just want to be able to reach back and fondle the valve every so often then you need the tank hiked up behind your head, at least I would.

Traditional tank position which is still taught and was certainly taught well into the 80s:

The high tank stuff did not really start to become common until tech began influencing sport SCUBA, tech divers using isolating manifolds on twin sets needed to be able to reach valves and the posts being to either side did not so easily smack the head when worn high. This application of what might work well with one rig, twin sets, now applied to singles rigs results in people with tanks so high that regulators bang heads and have poor trim often requiring additional trim weights aft on the tank to compensate for poor tank position, the actual cause.

N
    Last edited by Nemrod; 07-20-2014 at 10:35.
    Swim down, swim around, swim back up.

Megalodon
    Images
    I've been one to have the tank riding a little high since I started diving. I noted I trimmed out easier and I could reach the valve easier. Of course now, the tank rides just below my armpit on my side and is very comfortable that way.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information