Thread: Where to dive?

Megalodon
    Images

Where to dive?

For our anniversary in 2014, I'm taking the wife and kiddo on an Eastern Caribbean cruise. We have stops in St. Kitts, St Lucia, Barbados and Antigua. Which would be the best stop for a 2-tank dive? As of now, I can only dive on one stop so want to make it good. Any and all help will of course be greatly appreciated.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    just set up your gear and tether yourself under the ship and have them drag you from port to port..... lots of bottom time and no weight gain from all the buffets!!!!
    God is good, no matter what!!

Had a good time whenever I went to St. Lucia. Wife tells me there is good stuff on land but I dive every time I go there. Superman's Flight is the best drift dive around.

Barbados is on the edge of the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. Rough water, poor viz. I've been there three times, always in May (my anniversary) and it was nothing to write home about.

Been to St. Kitts twice. Both times I went to arrange a dive. The shop got more snorkelers than divers both times. So they cancelled my dive and took the snorkelers out. I've heard it is nice and they have sea turtles but I've not been on a dive there myself.

Never had a chance to dive in Antigua but I've never heard anyone recommending it.

So my vote is St. Lucia. If not St. Lucia then St. Kitts.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Images
    So why can you only dive on one port of call?

Images
    I've never dove any of them, but just today I was talking to somebody and they told me about their anniversary trip to St. Lucia. This never comes up, so I'm taking it as a sign. Go with St. Lucia.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Had a good time whenever I went to St. Lucia. Wife tells me there is good stuff on land but I dive every time I go there. Superman's Flight is the best drift dive around.

Barbados is on the edge of the Caribbean Sea and Atlantic Ocean. Rough water, poor viz. I've been there three times, always in May (my anniversary) and it was nothing to write home about.

Been to St. Kitts twice. Both times I went to arrange a dive. The shop got more snorkelers than divers both times. So they cancelled my dive and took the snorkelers out. I've heard it is nice and they have sea turtles but I've not been on a dive there myself.

Never had a chance to dive in Antigua but I've never heard anyone recommending it.

So my vote is St. Lucia. If not St. Lucia then St. Kitts.
    I did some searching, St. Lucia was one I had some good information on. It I go there, the one shop that jumped out at me was Scuba Steve. Any dealings with them?

Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    So why can you only dive on one port of call?
    My wife doesn't dive, has no intention of learning and kiddo can't dive because he has tympanic issues from too many ear tube surgeries when he was little. For some odd reason they both want daddy time on shore trips, hence only one (well, maybe two... ) dive stops. I mean, it is an anniversary trip and all that..

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I did some searching, St. Lucia was one I had some good information on. It I go there, the one shop that jumped out at me was Scuba Steve. Any dealings with them?
    No experience with Scuba Steve. I think I went with Scuba St. Lucia. The dive shop is right on Anse Chastanet beach. They do discover scuba and 'pool' sessions in the bay on the beach because it is calm enough to pass for a pool. We did a shore dive for the first dive. They have you wade into the water, do a checkout (mask and reg recovery) then you swim to the marine park. The Anse Chastanet reef is just off the beach from them and some great diving if you like marine life. There was a wall that went down to 300+ feet and just to the west of the wall was a sloping beach starting at 50 feet and getting shallow.

Because they make you do a checkout dive before you can dive, there were no vacation divers. Everyone did the mask and reg recover in 3 seconds and with no effort at all. I never have my own group to dive with. This was probably the best group of divers I joined in all my Caribbean diving.

By the way, they have people do a mask and reg recover to show you won't shoot for the surface when encountering a problem. In the past someone had a mask problem and went to the surface. There is a LOT of fishing traffic over the reef and the diver got hit by a motorboat. If you have trouble there is a 'safe' area roped off from boat traffic were divers can surface. The dive guide will take you to that area if you have trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    My wife doesn't dive, has no intention of learning and kiddo can't dive because he has tympanic issues from too many ear tube surgeries when he was little. For some odd reason they both want daddy time on shore trips, hence only one (well, maybe two... ) dive stops. I mean, it is an anniversary trip and all that..
    This is funny. The only times I've gone diving in St. Lucia is when on my anniversary with my wife... she doesn't dive and has no intention of learning.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    St. Lucia and Supermans Flight was a Top 5 dive for me. Plan on being gone ALL day. It is a long ride to the dive site. I had planned to be back around noon and it was after 3 when we finally pulled up to the dock. E was a little pissed.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Thread Information