Thread: Thinking Providenciales & Grand Turk for shore diving

Grouper

Thinking Providenciales & Grand Turk for shore diving

Anyone have any experience with shore diving on Providenciales and Grand Turk? Can you rent tanks or get unlimited air packages from dive shops there?

TadPole
    I have also been wondering this. I found this link to another discussion. I have never been but need another place to shore dive besides Bonaire. I love it but would like to travel to Grand Turk. The hubby gets sea sick so we try to stay away from boats.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gre...periences.html

Grouper
    From many responses on other forums Provo & Grand Turk look like a bust for shore diving. I've researched a lot of suggestions and have only come up with one posibillity that is within my budget. Coco View & Fantasy Island (Roatan) were just way too expensive for a single traveler. They really look great though. The only reasonable alternative to Bonaire other than Curacao, (I refuse to go there because the only way to solo is to sneak, and beside that it's just another Bonaire underwater), is Grand Cayman. I've heard it's mui expensive - but - I found a place that I could rent that has a kitchen for $89/day low-season. Unlimited air is the same as on Bonaire. Groceries might be a bit more expensive but I know how to eat cheap. Transportation will be cheaper (economy car at $33/day) than Bonaire. The airfare is about the same for me, all things considered. Travel time using Kayak sucked at 22+ hours with very long layovers. When I tried CheapOair I found flights with a total time of about 8 hours with 5+ in the air. That's way better than I could do going to Bonaire.

I still have a lot of research to do. I want to contact the apartment managment and confirm a few things. I also want to contact the dive shops to get the complete picture on shore diving and solo there. Some shops forbid it using their equipment - don't know if you can use tanks from elsewhere and solo. Some shops won't let you dive from their beach unless you rent tanks from them - need to find out what their policy on solo is. Some sites are completely open. I need to explore that stuff.

Another suggestions was Cayman Brac. It's supposed to have fantastic shore diving. It's an additional $150 airfare and I haven't found any accomodation approaching $89/day. That's an important factor for me as a single traveler. As a couple you might find Brac acceptable financially since there are two of you and a by the day charge doesn't bite as hard. If I go to Grand Cayman I might do some sleuthing with the locals on finding something on Brac that's inexpensive for another time.

Barracuda
    Images
    As a single diver, you might like to join (oddly enough named) Single Divers (http://www.singledivers.com/temppage/Welcome.html). I have been on two trips with them and was very happy. They run at least 1 trip a month to all sorts of places, including live-aboard trips. The advantage of this group is that you do not pay the singles supplement for your room (although you do have the option of taking a single room for more $), Kamala (the operator) drives a hard bargain for trip costs, and it is a great group of people. I will be on the Bonaire trip in April/May. 3 boat trips a day, unlimited shore diving, breakfast, lunch and 2 dinners, and more.

I just checked and they are doing a trip to Little Cayman next year for Labor Day.
    Last edited by John Yaskowich; 12-05-2013 at 11:46.
    And on the eighth day, God said, "OK, Murphy, you take over"

Grouper
    John,

Thanks for the info. I'll certainly check it out.

Thread Information