Thread: Gulf side diving in April near Tarpon Springs?

Gulf side diving in April near Tarpon Springs?

We have an option to stay at a co-worker's rental house near Tarpon Springs for our upcoming April dive trip. I had previously asked in a different section about Caribbean all inclusives - and it is looking like that might just be too expensive. This option, with free lodging, just fell into our laps - so I was curious what you guys think about diving in early April on the Gulf Side? How is the water? Do you have any operators you might recommend for diving?
    Narcosis Diving came up with a quick google search - any experience with them?

Thanks in advance!
    -Aaron

Shark
    how close will you be to Venice??? there is great shark tooth diving near venice.
    God is good, no matter what!!

It looks like the house is in New Port Ritchey, so it is almost 2 hours north of Venice.
    -Aaron

Shark
    so Venice is likely to be out of the question...you don't want to spend your vacation in the car.... I know I wouldn't. keep up posted on what you find!!!
    God is good, no matter what!!

Guppy
    I've dove a couple of times with Tanks A Lot dive charter in Clearwater, but I think the owners sold to a new owner within the past year or so. I've dived in July and March. The March dive is cold. You're going 15 miles off shore. With the cold water, there's little to see. Last summer we dove the sink hole near Howard Park on the North side of the causeway. Its a big hole deep hole that gets dark quickly. I only went 30 feet since I'm not cave certified and because I didn't have a light and because a lot of reasons. The hole is pretty neat to see. You can get on Google maps and see the hole. There was a marker fashioned out of Gatorade bottles on it last year. You could do this as a shore dive, if you wanted. When tide goes out in this area, it goes out and you're inches above mud, except near the hole that is deeper. Honestly, it would be a better snorkel trip than a dive and that way you don't get too temped to go deep in the hole. Also, I've read of current when the hole is siphoning. I personally didn't experience any, but again, I was at the top of the hole where it is wide. I like to snokel off the beach. The vis is low (or can be) but I've seen a bunch of fish, crabs, dolphin and even a sea horse. Bring your dive flag if you do this. You can rent tanks at Narcosis Scuba near the sponge docks in Tarpon. Get some Greek food while you're there. Its a neat area.

I have not used Narcosis for a dive trip. I've heard mixed things. They're into spearfishing and doing things their way. The other thing you've got to be ready for is the dive charter to cancel on you at the last minute. Most of them wont go if they don't fill most of the boat. I think Narcosis says it will go, even if the group is small, so you might double check on that. Also, if you go out of Tarpon, you'll be riding on the Anclote river (little or no wake) for a half hour or so before you can start moving. At 15 miles off shore, the water is about 35' deep. I don't know how far you'd have to go to get some real depth. Bring a warm wetsuit. gloves and a hood. I don't have my dive book handy, but I'm thinking my March trip was in the 50s at depth. I just remember my head pounding like a drum.

I guess to answer your question more plainly, the Gulf Side of Florida can produce some nice dives when the weather is warmer. In April, it is still pretty cold and based on my March dives, I'm afraid you might be disappointed. Of course, a bad day diving is still a good day. There are some man-made reefs that most of the dive places go to. If its cold when you're there, you might have them take you to the wreck or the viet nam era tanks. At least if there are few fish, you'll still have something cool to look at.

Images
    You guys do know that the original question is 4 years old.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    actually, it was december 13/ so 2 months...

Images
    Disregard, I was reading his join date....Man, I hate being the weak link of every chain.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    In defense of my poor reading I noticed they put it right next to the line that said Join Date:
    --Zeagle Eagle

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm not sure that this trip is going to be happening now... unfortunately. Work is slow so we are having to use up vacation days when we don't have enough patients on the schedule

On the plus side we got some diving in Jamaica last week
    -Aaron

Thread Information