Thread: Wet suit sizing

TadPole

Wet suit sizing

For those of you who have purchased your own wet suit did you buy larger, smaller or true to clothing size numbers? I guess the guys could respond to this too but I figured women's suits might be different.

Images
    Pretty much size it true. You don't want it too lose or it won't keep you warm. Too tight and it becomes too restricting.

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    Pretty much size it true. You don't want it too lose or it won't keep you warm. Too tight and it becomes too restricting.
    Thanks, my husband and I are looking at a used set up. It is pretty high end, actually the items we were looking to purchase (in a year or two when we could afford it, lol). We plan to have scuba toys check it out, it was purchased there in the first place, then service it if we decide to buy. It has a woman's wetsuit but it is a size smaller than I wear. I think we are getting a good deal, so even if I can't use it, it won't be a big deal. The woman's set up was only used 1 time and the man's 3 times and 3 years old.

Images
    Not all wetsuits are the same - different cuts, different arrangements, and different material. So, shop around. Different manufacturers cut theirs different and some mold pretty good to me while others do not. You might see something like 5/4 or 3/2. What this means is that the core is covered with heavier material and the joints like the arm pits is a little thinner. This give you a little more flexibility. For me, I like Thinsulate material over regular neoprene. This just fits me a little better and I think it keeps me warmer.

Then there is the whole issue of Farmer John vs. full suit. Farmer Johns give you double the material thickness over your core, but for me I feel like the Micheline Man. Some really like the FJ and others do not.

Lots of choices....

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    You can gotoScubaToys & try suits on. They have a large selection and will assist you in selecting a suit for your kind of diving.

TadPole
    Thanks for all the advice. If the used suit doesn't fit I will use your advice when I get ready to purchase a new one.

Thread Information