Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Here

TadPole

Newbie Here

Thanks for letting me join.
    Just to tell you a little about myself. I am not a diver just yet. I am going to take my Open water Certification in Feburary. Im real excited. My long term goal is to be atleast a Master Diver. I want to also spear fish, catch lobsters (in Florida) and even sight see underwater. Right now I live up North in North Dakota but have plans on moving down south one day (hopefully soon).
    Since I will be starting my classes next month, I have done a bit of a search to want I want. I know I will need my own mask, snorkle and fins. So, i have decided on the ScubaPro Spectra TruFit Scuba Dive Mask, Scubapro Spectra Dry Snorkel and the Scubapro Gorilla Seawing Nova Fins.
    Also I will be purchasing other items as money allows, which would be the Sherwood Avid BCD CQR-3, Scubapro Aladin 2G 3 Gauge Scuba Divers Computer Console, Tank and the Scubapro MK25 S600 Regulator. The Wetsuit will be something I think i will have to buy when I can get to a dive shop and try on, make sure it fits properly.
    Ofcourse these items could change when i do get around to buying them. I just wanted something to go by when I do need to check off what I do and dont have.

What do yall think of my selections? Any and All help would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help

Shark
    welcome Shane... ask questions we like to educate newbees...
    God is good, no matter what!!

TadPole
    thankyou

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the classes. There is always ice diving in North Dakota at this time of year! Just kidding, it is not much fun to dive in really cold water unless you are in a dry suit. I do have a couple of recommendations for you already. Some things need to fit properly, so masks, like wetsuits need to be fitted properly for the best results. Fins can be a challenge to fit if you aren't able to try them on. Fins from different manufacturers have different size foot boxes so it is a little difficult to buy a set of fins off the shelf without trying them on. A large size fin from one manufacturer may be equivalent to a medium size fin from another manufacturer. Some of the foot boxes are wider than others and affect fit and comfort also.

Megalodon
    Images
    Definitely, ask away.

I'm going to guess that your LDS is a Scubapro dealer? Not an issue of any sort as Scubapro does have great gear and it lasts. There is however a lot of other gear as well. I would do a lot of trying before buying.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Thanks everyone for the help. Im not sure what my LDS has to offer (its 100 miles away) I will be going there in a couple of weeks to check it out) The fins, mask and snorkel will be ordered by EBay. Each sellers says the do exchanges if product does not fit. As for Ice Diving..... No Way, lol. I am actually from Orange, Tx. I moved up North after Hurricane Katrina. My wife has family up here. I told her fine, we will go visit, but Im not living up north..... Im still visiting.....
    Her brother wants to take me ice fishing. He said he has a fish house that we can put on the lake and heat up.....I told him, NO WAY....Down south if we mix ice with fire, we get Water There is only one person I know who walks on water, and ITS NOT ME..... So I have never went ice fishing yet

Images
    Welcome to the board. We look forward to hearing from you. I am living vicariously right now; so, make sure and keep us "posted" on your classes and exploits.

Most everyone will tell you to slow down on your purchases. You don't know what you don't know yet. Rent it until you have tried a few. Then make your purchase.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    And of course, I'd love to tell you to buy from Scubatoys instead of some place on Ebay. Get full warranty on all the brands you are looking at including ScubaPro... Just give us a shout if we can help!

TadPole
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    And of course, I'd love to tell you to buy from Scubatoys instead of some place on Ebay. Get full warranty on all the brands you are looking at including ScubaPro... Just give us a shout if we can help!
    Wow, you must have been listening to my wife cause thats almost exactly what she just said... lol

I do have a question. IF Scuba toys dont have exactly what im looking for, can you order it for me?

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Sure.. We can get you almost anything... But more importantly, you are brand new to this and we've been doing it for decades. We can also perhaps help you with some of your decisions on what you should be getting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information