Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drysuits - Introduction to Drysuit Diving, Tips and Tricks

Barracuda Founding Member
    If you pee in your wetsuit don't forget a pee valve.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Ahhhhh...the famous pee valve!
    Make sure the valve is in working order before you use it. It can leave a mark!
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Does anyone have any experience with the Vikings Extreme drysuit? Is $600 new for one a steal I cannot pass up?
    It's 2-3x the price of the ones I've been bidding on (end up going for), but it seems like a really good deal. Those ones are also obviously used and often need some parts and work. I've only seen good things about it, but haven't found much on it.

Megalodon
    Images
    If it fits....Absolutely. That falls in the helluva deal category. However, try it on before buying, check seals, put some air in it and check for pin holes and leaks. If it all look good, buy it. If it's 2XL and it don't fit, let me know....

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    If it fits....Absolutely. That falls in the helluva deal category. However, try it on before buying, check seals, put some air in it and check for pin holes and leaks. If it all look good, buy it. If it's 2XL and it don't fit, let me know....
    Well that's what I needed to hear. It's online, and brand new. It's a size large. That should be about right, any smaller and they're too short for me. They allow for people a bit heavier than me, but Large seems right (I'm 6'1" 185lbs).

Okay, I'm the proud new owner of a viking drysuit. Here's the ebay listing.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Black-Vi...item20deb5a12b

I already have military issue polartec jacket and pants. I ordered a long compression pants and shirt set, and have some slightly looser long wool underwear. I think that setup will get me diving in moderate cold, but I'll have to test it out.

I'm not sure on the cert or not. I'm honestly the learn at my own pace type of person. I taught myself to work on cars, computers, and a slew of other things. I love the learning process, so I'm not sure a classroom setting will be right for me. At any rate, I plan on trying to get as much practice as possible in calm conditions (pools, calm springs, etc.).
    My favorite instructor may not offer a class, but I'll seek his advice. I'll try to get my hands on the reading material though, and will likely seek a mentor through local diving who are more used to the cool weather diving.

Do you guys have any suggested reading materials?

Megalodon
    Images
    While a Dry Suit class is not necessarily a requirement, there is a distinct learning that needs to happen. With a dry suit, you now swim in your own little bubble that you need to manage and understand. The worst case is not venting it correctly and having a runaway ascent. The other big one is when you get a little head down and your bubble goes to your feet.

Reading material? Unfortunately, I can't help you there. But I will say have fun and now you have another excuse to go get wet (lucky dude!)

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Grouper
    Images
    If you don't take a class, if you can go to a DUI Dog Days event. You will be able to try different suits and undergarments, and they will teach you the basics before taking you on a short dive. You can also try out different gloves.
    Tulsa Aquanauts
    www.tulsaaquanauts.com

Thanks for the reply guys. I'll have to look for a dui dog days event, but having bought the other suit I don't think it's the right type of event for me, but it does sound informative.

I managed to borrow a padi dry suit video, and watched that already. I also ordered a drysuit diving book off amazon, which I gather from the reviews isn't too useful for practical advice, but offers nice history.

I've also been reading about the SI-tech tech neck and wrist ring systems. I'll likely install those when the seals need replacing, as that seems the hassle free way to go for future maintenance.

Images
    You don't have to be a card carrying DUI Diver to attend the DUI Dog Days events. There really isn't any hard selling going on. In fact, you can't even buy a suit at the event. It's all about trying drysuit diving and of course they would like you to buy DUI, but not required to be at the event.

I wore my Pinnicle at one event and just tried undergarments. No issue. As said attending would provide you with some training and the opportunity to dive with somebody who knows drysuit diving. Not a replacement for training, but a good start.

Congrats on your new suit!

Snagel

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information