Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Drysuits - Introduction to Drysuit Diving, Tips and Tricks

Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    You don't have to be a card carrying DUI Diver to attend the DUI Dog Days events. There really isn't any hard selling going on. In fact, you can't even buy a suit at the event. It's all about trying drysuit diving and of course they would like you to buy DUI, but not required to be at the event.

I wore my Pinnicle at one event and just tried undergarments. No issue. As said attending would provide you with some training and the opportunity to dive with somebody who knows drysuit diving. Not a replacement for training, but a good start.

Congrats on your new suit!

Snagel
    Oh okay, I guess I didn't understand the events. I take it they haven't set up their 2014 days yet, as I don't see much info for this year online. Gilboa quarry is pretty close, maybe I'll check that out.

The next question: Pockets. Have you added them? where do you mount them? Do you love them?

Images
    Mine came with two pockets on the side of both legs. I don't really use them for anything, but I do have them if needed.

Megalodon
    Images
    Pockets can be nice, great for an extra mask, tables, odds and ends. I have a pair of Highland pocket shorts that I use and love the extra pockets. For me, I don't have any pockets on my BCD so they're a god send.

Definitely hook up with DUI Days if you can. It's a great time all around to say the least. Check in, get measured for gloves and neck seal, choose an undergarment and then a dry suit, get dressed and go dive. Then have a burger, go try a different undergarment, different suit and repeat. The water can be a little crowded, but still, we're getting wt.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Okay, so some like them others don't it seems. I've heard golem gear pockets are pretty good.
    What do people think of the dive rite pockets? http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...iteWaistPocket

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I'm very excited to dive this thing (although my tanks and gear are in FL until march).

There she is! I got it trimmed up and it seems pretty awesome. The wrist seals were very long, and tapered slowly. I think I may take a bit more off later, but it seems good for now. I may have to take a bit more out of the hood around the eyes This photo is with my undergarments:

1) Compression pants and long sleeve shirt. Wicking hiking short socks (a synthetic material).
    2) Polartec long underwear (Shirts and pants). Wool Hiking Socks.
    3) Military Issue Polartec jacket and Pants. The pants are like overalls. They have added elastic loops for the thumbs on the jacket and full foot loops on the pants (thanks to the girlfriend).
    4) for the head I used the included beanie

I think that'll get me down into the 50s or so. I may add one of Ron's ebay undergarments or a vest as the need arises. I can't wait to dive this thing.

Cost:
    $600 drysuit (including zip wax, repair kit, beanie, inflator hose).
    $18 for the Compression Pants & Shirt
    $25 for the polartec underwear (top and bottom)
    $12 for 4 sets of wool hiking socks
    $5 for 5 sets of synthetic wicking socks
    $20 for the polartec jacket
    $10 for the polartec pants

Giving me a cost of just about $690 for everything. Not bad IMO.

Megalodon
    Images
    Not bad at all. Now definitely go dive it.

Yeah. Unfortunately BC, regs, and my tank garden are hanging out in FL near where I plan on being in March. I'm planning on a week of diving, hopefully 15-20 dives. FL springs mainly, so not the super cold test dives, but easy dives to get used to it. I'll likely ditch part of those undergarments as a 3mm is enough for the sites.

Images
    Looks good. I did the exact same thing when I got my first Drysuit - put everything on in the living room. It got hot real quick and then had to have the wife help me out of it. A little embarrassing. The next suit I got had a front zipper.

You're up North fairly close to Gilboa....can you dive it in the winter months?

Snagel

Ha she was willing to help unzip. She did do the elastic straps for me, so she's on board with the idea. Not for her though. she said she'll gladly skip those dives.
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    You're up North fairly close to Gilboa....can you dive it in the winter months?

Snagel
    I am up north near gilboa, so hopefully next winter I'll get some dives in. As I mentioned, my tanks, regs, and BC are in jacksonville with my folks. I didn't expect to be diving before march when I'm down there again. When I return up north it will certainly open up my possibility of year round diving.

Megalodon
    Images
    To quote Dr. Gru from "Despicable Me": "LIGHT-BULB!"

Find friends, borrow gear, go dive! If I were closer (what's 13 hours between friends?) I'd help.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information