Thread: Maui weather questions

Guppy
    Images

Maui weather questions

I'm headed to Maui on Monday, yeah! I have looked at the dive op's online, and I have a question for the experienced south maui divers. Many of the dive op's meet and depart from the Kihei boat ramp early in the morning. This is the first vacation in a long time that is not dedicated to diving. My schedule is going to be more laid back and not diving every day. I have read many reviews about canceled dives due to weather and reimbursement usually isn't offered. Instead diving another day may or may not be offered.
    So after that long story the question is, how do you schedule boat dives with some reassurance that the $150.00 ish per day fees are not gone with the wind so to speak.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Shark
    we have been to Maui several times and have used Ed Robinson diving. they leave from the kihei ramp we dive with them multiple days and we pay at the end of our week of diving. they took our credit card number at the beginning but did not charge anything til the end we were even able to put tips on the card since we were running low on cash. we were there last feb and they cancelled nothing. water temp was about 75 so we wore our 5 ml suits air temps are a little chilly in the am. long sleeves and long pants are needed since you will be at the boat ramp before the sun is up. after the dives shorts are fine. have a blast.... say hello to the ocean for me...i am land locked and way too dry....
    God is good, no matter what!!

B&B Scuba does as long as it's them and not you - http://www.bbscuba.com/
    • There is a 48 hr. cancellation policy for any trips booked on the boat.
    • “No shows” or last minute cancellations are non-refundable. (The captain of a dive vessel may cancel a trip due to weather,if so there is no charge to you and we will try to reschedule) If you have any questions about cancellations please ask before you book a trip. We are here to help.
    So does Mike Severns - http://www.mikesevernsdiving.com/
    Our cancellation policy is 48 hours. That means that no-shows or cancellations (regardless of reason) with less than 48 hours of advance notice will be charged full price unless we are able to fill your seats. Of course if we cancel a trip due to weather, which happens about 5 days a year, there is no charge.
    If they can get into the protected water of the Crater, they won't cancel (assuming the ride over is possible) This time of year planning a Backwall diving might be questionable - sometimes they won't call that until they get out there. If they do they often just dive inside.

Guppy
    Images
    I just saw several chances for rain in the forecast while I am there. Since Murphy's law is ever present, I just wanted some 1st hand knowledge of how the shops actually handle the situations.

Guppy
    Images
    I got back from Maui and got in 3 dives in 9 days. Here is the short version. If anyone goes to Maui and the weather is less than great, call the dive shop and ask very specific questions.
    Is your boat going out tomorrow morning?
    Any answer other than a resounding yes, means call someone else.
    Do Not ask a vague question such as. I want to do several dives over the next week and with all the rain are there any days you foresee not going?
    This will result in the standard answer of we only cancel 5 dives a year so there shouldn't be any problem. If you only plan on diving and nothing else it might work, but planning other paid activities requires a hard yes only answer. I found this out first hand. I planned and paid for several activities, then I got the call and the polite "we aren't going out tomorrow because the bad weather has put a damper on people's desire to dive and we don't have enough people interested in going tomorrow." This happened twice, the first time was the day after I asked the obviously too vague question. But hey that doesn't count as a weather related issue.
    On a plus note the humpback whales were awesome.

Images
    The Kihei side of the island never rains. The other side of the island is one of the wettest places on earth. Kihei side can go years with no rain.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Images
    This was in Kihei. Leaving from the Kihei boat ramp.

Images
    Saw it rain in Kihei once. It was the first rain in years. The locals partied in the street like Mardi Gras...over rain. It was hilarious.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Just got back from 2 1/2 weeks in Ohau and the Big Island, only 2 days with no rain, this is what we had on the top of Mauna Kea Mauna Kea.jpgbut no dives cancelled. The Manta Ray and Blackwater dives in Kona are a must
    Any dive you survive is a good dive

Thread Information