Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the Most Stupidest Thing You've Done While Diving?

Guppy
    Putting my rig on while it was still bunggied to the tank holder......several times.

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AfterDark View Post
    Putting my rig on while it was still bunggied to the tank holder......several times.
    I think we have all done that!!!!
    Broncrider
    PADI Divemaster

Megalodon
    Images
    I did the exact opposite on my first boat: I set everything up and forgot to rebungee...

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    the really stupid part is you can't figure out why you can't stand up.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    One I do over and over is I put the tank on the gear table, put my bc on the tank and then bungee it to the table by looping bungee over the valve so it doesn't fall over. Then I grab my reg put it on the valve. I get everything set up and then realize I can't get the bungee off; so, I have to take the reg off the valve, pull off the bungee and then put the reg back on.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Wreck diving in some rough conditions. After about 2 1/2 hours on the boat it's time to get in the water. Gear up jump in and realize my deco bottle is still on the boat.

Deep air, 200+' in a foreign country because it's what was available.

Barracuda
    Images
    Keep forgetting to let the pressure off before trying to refill the water resovoir on my humidifier & the tip shooting off into space serveral times even after advising my my brother to make sure he's depressurized his system, DUH-do my own stupid!
    Bungee cord on boat, forgot to turn on air.. probably some others but can't think of them rat now.

Guppy
    Peed in my drysuit once. Didn't forget it wasn't a wetsuit, just couldn't make it back to the boat and get the suit off in time. Only time in my adult sober life I've ever pissed myself.

Grouper
    Here ya go - I drove about an hour to our clubs "Break the Ice" dive (first dive of the season in Lake George which ain't warm at any time) and had left my wetsuit at home on the same couch that I looked at just before I closed the door and left.

One thing that carries very well from software engineering (my former trade) to diving - beware boundary conditions - in other words, if you haven't dived all winter you are probably going to forget something - double, tripple, and quad checks are warrented.

And one more. Thursday I put an IP gauge on my 1st stage and got a reading below 50psi. WTHeck - it should be 135psi. Took it apart and totally cleaned it and checked the IP - still less than 50psi. Repeat 3 times - then it dawns on me - the gauge is showing about 30psi even under no pressure. Whoops, no problem with the 1st stage - the effing gauge was shot. Long story short, a trip to the local hardware for a new gauge and fittings to connect it to the quick disconnect and my IP is now a perfect 135psi.

Another thing that carrys well from software engineering - if you can't see what is causing the problem then you ain't looking in the right place.
    Last edited by Charon; 07-27-2014 at 14:24.

Grouper Founding Member
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    I tend to learn from my mistakes and believe me there have been plenty......

So, in an effort to offer some insight to others who may be new to the sport (and maybe to hear some interesting stories) I ask one simple question:

What is the Most Stupidest Thing You've Done While Diving?

For me, I would have to say my first ocean dive from a boat. I had maybe 10-12 dives under my belt and when we got to our drop location the Dive Master instructed us to do a back flip out of the boat. I had done the normal dive entries, but this was my first back flip...how hard can it be - put your reg in your mouth, hold your mask and reg in and fall backwards into the water. Worked like a charm except nobody told me not to do a complete 360 once I hit the water. I spin around and came back up under the boat, smacking my head on the bottom of the boat. For a minute there I saw stars and quickly checked to see if I had busted my head open (good thing I have a hard head). No gash, No blood, all was good. Probably should have sat that dive out, just in case. But, I continued on with the dive with no ill effects. To this day, I'm not sure if anybody knew at the time what had happened.

What could have went wrong is I could have had some sort of head injury that got worse during the dive. I did something that I had not done before and "thought" I knew what I was doing. I've learned to ask more questions and not try and be the "macho diver" type and of course, not to take chances when I could have been injured and continued the dive.

Snagel
    I did the exact same thing on my first back entry. Except, mine was at night, and it was My first night dive.

Now, I actually prefer a back roll entry to a giant stride.
    To those in the miltary who serve, past and present, to protect my freedom, I thank you. I've had a good life so far.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information