Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the Most Stupidest Thing You've Done While Diving?

Images

What is the Most Stupidest Thing You've Done While Diving?

I tend to learn from my mistakes and believe me there have been plenty......

So, in an effort to offer some insight to others who may be new to the sport (and maybe to hear some interesting stories) I ask one simple question:

What is the Most Stupidest Thing You've Done While Diving?

For me, I would have to say my first ocean dive from a boat. I had maybe 10-12 dives under my belt and when we got to our drop location the Dive Master instructed us to do a back flip out of the boat. I had done the normal dive entries, but this was my first back flip...how hard can it be - put your reg in your mouth, hold your mask and reg in and fall backwards into the water. Worked like a charm except nobody told me not to do a complete 360 once I hit the water. I spin around and came back up under the boat, smacking my head on the bottom of the boat. For a minute there I saw stars and quickly checked to see if I had busted my head open (good thing I have a hard head). No gash, No blood, all was good. Probably should have sat that dive out, just in case. But, I continued on with the dive with no ill effects. To this day, I'm not sure if anybody knew at the time what had happened.

What could have went wrong is I could have had some sort of head injury that got worse during the dive. I did something that I had not done before and "thought" I knew what I was doing. I've learned to ask more questions and not try and be the "macho diver" type and of course, not to take chances when I could have been injured and continued the dive.

Snagel

First dive after receiving my C card. It was a lake clean-up. (and all my training had been in the same lake.) We went out from shore at a marina, with our the assistant dive instructor from our class. First thing that went awry - his tank came unstrapped at about 20'. The DH & I helped him get that all fixed and then proceeded to go off and fill up our bags with lots of junk. I was oh-so careful to keep an eye on the surface, as I did NOT want to come up under one of the many docks and bang the crap out of my head! So we're dragging along our bags as they got heavier and heavier and suddenly I realized I was out of air. I'm in 8' of water trying to lift a huge, heavy bag up with me as I'm out of air. Finally I got smart, dropped the bag and surfaced. It quickly taught me that no matter what else is going on around, above, below, in front or in back of me .... WATCH YOUR GAUGES!!!! (And these days - even after 100's of dives, I watch them like a hawk from start to finish!)

Of course the 2nd DUH moment was after trying to duck under the surface and grab the bag with my BC on, the light finally went on and I took my BC off, popped under the water and handed it up to my DH.

Images
    Went on a 2 tank boat dive and forgot my BC.....yep.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Went on a 2 tank boat dive and forgot my BC.....yep.
    I can't help but laugh.......This is my worst nightmare and I tend check my gear a 100 times before a dive...it's the OCD kickin' in.

Images
    The sad part is there is no way to finesse your way out of that. Boats usually don't carry a spare BC.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Driving an hour to the club's "Break the Ice" (first dive of the season) dive with everything but my wetsuits - and going to a weeks stay on an Adirondack lake with no BC. But the all time winner is - in a blizzard that made slush of the top 3 feet of the river, with 200 yards along an island to cover I said to myself "If Jerrimah Johnson could do it so can I" and I jumped out of the canoe to pull it and realized "OH, **** - I could die here" - It was faster to pull the canoe and a lot easier than pushing it through the slush with a paddle - still ... I'm alive and smarter - I err on the side of caution these days. Jerrimah probably didn't live to see my age anyway.

Guppy
    Of course, I've forgotten to turn air on for at least 4 shore dives (set up everything in car beforehand but don't like to turn on air as once I hit the brakes and had a free flow in the car--but that's no excuse, and NEVER on a boat dive). But, the worst one (and I hope my shop isn't reading this...) was when I was DMing OW course checkout dives. I was scheduled to go with the next group and the other DM asked me to look for a lost weight before the students entered. I forgot my weight belt. My excuse was that I had to return to my car to replace an 0 ring. Wow, escaped that one (I was an Intern then). When a Newbie I lost a 10 lb. wt. and tried to descend to get it. Well hey, at least I wasn't the DM in Panama who was "guiding" me and jumped off the boat
    with an empty tank. It can happen to anybody.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Barracuda
    I would say all of my stupidest moments involved forgetting gear at home.
    any puddle...anytime...anyplace!

Images
    I did head to Mexico one time for diving and when I got there found out that I forgot my weight pockets for my BCD. I ended up filling the BCD pockets with weights for the trip, but for ever more, I keep take the weights out of my pockets and reinsert them into the BCD at the end of diving. Even now, I make a special check on every trip to make sure they are there...what's that old saying fool me once.

Snagel

Megalodon
    Images
    Diclaimer: All this is over 38 years of diving.

Let's see: Air not on - found that juuust before jumping in.
    No fins - found this one juust past the point of no return on a giant stride To be fair though, I did lay the fins down to help a fellow diver and just forgot to pick them up and was in a hurry to get in the water.

I also forgot fins on shore and tried to do the dive without them-didn't work.

Too Deep - Me and a buddy, using navy tables, planned and did a dive to 180' for 10 minutes many, many years ago. This was before we were told about a rec limit of 130'. The main tanks were double 80's with old school manifolds (read: single regulator post) and 2 stage bottles on the up line. The dive went off without a hitch except for 2 very narc'd divers but looking back now, I would say that is by far the most dangerous thing I have ever done and that includes free climbing and sky diving.

Then there's the almost stepping on a sting ray, stone fish, scorpion fish, lion fish, hammerhead, almost jumping in right next to a 15' Great White, fighting a huge green moray for a speared Grouper (It was MY Grouper, not his!)... Not to mention grabbing an anchor line in a huge field of fire coral, that one hurt.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information