Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking about going to COZ in maybe next week or two

Images

Thinking about going to COZ in maybe next week or two

I would like to try either Papa Hogs or Scuba Club Cozumel

I want to know about the boats. I am concerned with getting back on the boat; since, I am now old and fat. What is the re-entry like on the six pack type boats of PH? Is it just a one person ladder slung off the back? Any info or comparison is appreciated.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    The ones at Dive paradise are a ski ladder or a chicken ladder. They boat guy has me inflaate BC and hand it to him. Then he will even pull my fins off. Then it's relative easy to climb the ladder. Just ask & most op's will help you. Tipping apporplatey will get lots of help.

Images
    My wife can't get away like I can, so I end up solo on a lot of trips. Rather than depend on some one I don't know as a buddy; I usually hire my own dive master. At least I know they are qualified. From the time I get to the dive shack to the time I leave, my DM handles my gear. They clean it. They change tanks. They put it on and off the boat. They dive with me. When I get to the bottom of the ladder, I shuck everything, hand it to my DM and he handles the rest. All I have to do is walk up the ladder and make sure my camera gets put in the rinse tank. I don't mind paying extra for that service. It's very cheap.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcr0112 View Post
    The ones at Dive paradise are a ski ladder or a chicken ladder. They boat guy has me inflaate BC and hand it to him. Then he will even pull my fins off. Then it's relative easy to climb the ladder. Just ask & most op's will help you. Tipping apporplatey will get lots of help.
    The ski ladder, is it like one of those that swing and are not welded to the boat?
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda
    Images
    Actually I've seen both. The attached ones tilt back by the engine and the ski one just goes over the side. I didn't have problems using either one without my gear on. And I had bad knees at the time.

Images

Villa Blanca in Cozumel

Okay back from COZ. We actually went twice. We went down three weeks ago and got my 10 year old certified. We stayed at Casa Del Mar and dove with Del Mar Aquatics. Both were stellar. Del Mar Aquatics has really raised their game these past few years. We dove with an instructor by the name of Alex's and they don't get any better he was patient with my daughter and pretty much left me to myself. He is very accomplished at finding stuff on the reef yet not bothering us with "oh look another fish". I never had to touch my gear. The entry is a giant stride and we all gather and go down together. He is not too slow and not too fast. Upon returning to the boat, we shucked our gear and they roped it. then lifted it to the boat being very careful not to bang the computers or regs. Get rid of everything else and pass it up mask, fins, weight belt; etc. They put your camera in the camera tank and the rest of the gear gets setup again. The exit ladder is a t shaped or cross bar type ladder securely attached to the boat. It has some sort of rope covering the metal rungs for good grip and a second rope attached to the bottom of the ladder and the boat to help sort of as a handle to get back in the boat. Very easy, even for an old out of shape guy. While sitting out the surface interval, drinks are served by the crew, plenty of water or juice as well as water melon, pineapple, honey dew melon and something that tasted like cinibuns. There was some rice krispy treats passed around; but, I think they came from another diver. There was seconds if you wanted it and the water was ice cold. We were on the Iguana which is one of their smaller boats; but, there was ample room for my gear and none of it got wet. It is a fairly large boat as dive boats go and not too slow. After getting out of the water on my daughters last training dive. They made a big deal out of my daughter getting her "C" card and they even had a huge banner to let everyone know. She got to up go topside and even drive the boat. At the end of the dive our gear was off loaded for us and they took the weights and tanks. Our gear was deposited next to the rinse tank. My only concern was the lockers, which consisted of plastic milk tray racks with a very cheap lock on it. I didn't leave any thing of value; but, in 20+ years of diving with them I have never heard of anything missing. It's is locked at night.

We came home for one week and then decided to go back as we had so much fun the first time. We didn't have any reservations so on our way in the taxi to Casa Del Mar we spotted Villa Blanca and thought we would give it a try. Ihad heard a lot of goo things about it on the ST forum. I paid cash for 5 nights without much investigation. $80 a night plus $19 tax. Way more than I pay at Casa Del Mar. We managed to get our own luggage to our room (no bell hop). I got the upgraded room superior I think they call it. It was fairly large. I had one king size bed and a couch that double as another bed. The king bed was comfy; but, the couch was very hard. The A/C remote would not work so we called the front desk. 2 hours later we got some one to fix it. We had two choices on air 16 c or off, nothing in between we also could not control the fan speed or the louvers. There was one bottle of water which we had to take to the front desk each day to refill. What's with that? The shower, who, now that was the one nice thing about the hotel room. It had a really nice big shower. Lots of cold water coming out. The faucets worked in reverse to what I was expecting. Turn right for off left for on.....nope the other way around. Burned my self a couple of times remembering that one. The shower was enclosed with a small wall that you had to step over to get in but you could stop up the drain and get 2 feet of water in it for rinsing your dive gear. Nice! Too bad there was no place to hang it to dry. The floors were made out of marble or something similar and were extremely slippery when wet. We had towels strewn all around in an effort not to fall. It didn't work and I fell three times, the last one costing me a trip to the ER. We did have some spotty wireless in the room not fast enough to watch a movie or do skype video; but, we could check our email and surf the net. We had to go to the lobby to do skype with no video. We could have lived with the room if that was the only thing wrong with the hotel. The pool OM freakin' goodness. It was the nastiest, filthiest pool I have seen in years. All the tiles had some sort of black mold between the tiles and the water was lacking in chlorine. We both got major red eye after spending any time in the pool. There was one ladder to get in and out. It was so high my daughter couldn't reach it and neither could I. They did have a ledge but it too was unusable for exiting. I would sit on the ledge and then roll on the edge of the pool like a drunk on times square to get up. Pretty embarrassing. The pool visibility was a disgrace. 5 feet max and it was filled with insects, trash, tissues and some sort of white jelly on the bottom. I want to barf thinking about it. On our final day I spotted a sign in the front desk area. The water is not fit to drink. No @#$% Sherlock! It would have been nice to know that before we stayed there. Maybe a sign in the room next to the faucet. We didn't drink it anyway as it was kinda' brown. It reminded me of rinsing my dive gear in water from the Blue Lagoon in Huntsville. I couldn't wait to get it home to clean it. We won't be going back and I don't recommend it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images

Review of Papa Hogs

As we were right across the street from Papa Hogs. We decided to give them a try. Many of our ST forum folks have recommended them. Our experience was a bit different.

My initial impression was so, so. It is sort of a run down establishment in need of repair. I put it down to damage from the various hurricanes to pass through. We met Francesca and told him of our needs and he was very nice and very helpful. I got a price of $80 a day each for a two tank dive. That was cash, more if I used a card. Okay, that was a lot more than I was used to paying; but, I thought to give it a try. I booked 4 days and paid for 1 (thankfully). We showed up at the dock the next day. He couldn't get us into a morning dive. There was no one to greet us, show us where to put our gear, where to get out of the sun. We hung out until almost departure time and the boat showed up. It was called the Isabella. It was very small. They did have the small tanks on board for my daughter. I looked around and didn't see any safety gear. We got in the boat ourselves without much help and that was pretty much it. No safety briefing, no this is the Captain, this is the first mate. As we headed out I asked one of the crew members if they had oxygen and he said gruffly yes. I asked where it was and he pointed forward. Could I look at it? Whoa, that pretty much pissed him off. He said it was in a hold and hard to get too. Almost asked to return to the dock at that point; but, I didn't. The boat was not as fast as I expected. We passed some and some passed us. I would say it was just a little bit faster than the bigger boats. The water was calm, but we still got a lot of spray in the boat. My towel was wet as was my dive bag. I couldn't find a place to keep it dry. The floor of the boat was soaked so under the seats was not an option.The boat seemed to rock over every swell and was not a pleasant ride. We got to the dive site. We geared up and we checked our gear. The first mate had gone to everyone's tank and made sure it was on. I like to be the last person to touch my tank so I checked mine and then my daughters, low and behold her's was off. I saw her check it earlier, blow some air through the regs, inflate the BC so I don't know who turned it off. There was a very a minimal briefing...here's the reef dive, time is 45 minutes, watch your air and then we hit the water. Entry was a back roll. I love that entry and it was my daughters first. She handled it like a champ. The dive was normal. I did notice most of the divers had those little champagne bubbles coming from the tank valve. I think a few O ring replacements would have been nice. We were one of the last back to the boat. The boat ladder was T shaped with small metal rungs. They were slippery and the ladder swung back and forth. One of the boat crew should have been holding it. When I tried to pass up my gear they acted as if I had ebola. No one wanted to touch it. I just hung on the ladder until the first mate grabbed my BC and pulled it into the boat slamming my Atomic Cobalt and my Scuba Pro reg into the side. Man I was pissed. I put the rest of my own gear in and then helped my daughter. When they lifted her BC in they put a nice scratch on her computer. Getting back in the boat was a bit of a chore, I would swing to one side of the ladder and then the next with each swell. The rungs were very slippy. After a few lunges I managed to get in. Not one single hand to help me. The usual surface interval with some bottled water and then the next dive. Minimal briefing and off we went. The return to the boat was the same circus. Try to get some one to help with my equipment was tough. The usual slam the regs and computers into the side of the boat and then dump them in a big pile. Rough ride back to the dock and dump the gear on by the side of the boat. Bye, Bye. First time in my life I did not tip. I had planned a week of diving with them; but, never went back. We went to Del Mar Aquatics the next day....yay.

To sum it all up this boat is meant for the young divers around 20-35 who don't mind taking care of their own gear and the small boats. No service and average dive gear. We won't be going back.
    Last edited by Zeagle Eagle; 08-19-2014 at 18:40.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Thanks for the reviews! I have stayed at CDM and dove with their dove op before and was very happy with everything, glad to hear things are still good there. Next time, take advantage of their free shore dives. You can do night dives from their beach too. Just ask and they will leave a couple bottles for you after they quit for the day. No reefs off their beach but there are some rubble piles and at night you can find morays, spotted eels and octopi out and about.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fire diver View Post
    Thanks for the reviews! I have stayed at CDM and dove with their dove op before and was very happy with everything, glad to hear things are still good there. Next time, take advantage of their free shore dives. You can do night dives from their beach too. Just ask and they will leave a couple bottles for you after they quit for the day. No reefs off their beach but there are some rubble piles and at night you can find morays, spotted eels and octopi out and about.
    I have dived that beach hundreds of times and enjoyed it immensely. It's true there is not a lot to see; but, I have some muck, diver in me. I float among the pilings and check out the crabs and lobsters. Lots of little schools. There are a couple of coral heads worth looking at and generally look in the dirt of all kinds of critters. It's a fun relaxing dive. I haven't done it at night as I am usually worn out by that time and enjoying a great meal at Pepe's or La Mission. I have been caught a few times when a ripping current sprang up. One of the dives I was solo and almost didn't get back to the beach. I was actually towed in by one of the little tender boats. That's another story though. Oh, BTW, if you haven't done it (and it's been a few years for me) check out the sunken airplane on the cruise ship side of the pier. It's a couple hundred yards out from the dive boat pier in about 40' of water. It's fun. On your way back, swing the arc around the pier on the little mini drop off until you get to the training beach. You can stand up walk out and now they have showers available right there.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Thank! I didn't know about a plane out there, I'll have to look for it on my next trip. Is it a real wreck or a diver attraction?
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information