Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Training classes on live aboaard trip?

Images
    Interesting that you enjoy taking training classes while on a vacation trip. We have always shied away from taking classes while on trips because we didn't want to spend our vacations in a class. But, you put a new perspective on it and it appears to work for you. I would agree to stay away from the Rescue class in this environment only because it is a fairly high level intense class that involves much more than just hovering in the water.

Enjoy your trip and we do want a trip report and with pics if you can do it.

Snagel

Just returned from the Sun Dancer II and had a great time. The wife and I had never done a live aboard before. I had only done 3 tank dives in the past and the 5 dives a day really wore me out. The second to last day I could have taken a break but it became the principle of the matter to do every dive. 25 dives in all. Now that I have done it, next trip I may take an afternoon off one or two days. If I only drink one beer at the end of a day before off to bed, you know I'm beat!

My trip was almost identical to what every other trip report on the Sun Dancer II has been in the past. We had Captain Eddie and Captain Megan on board. They were awesome. Megan is a breath of fresh air. She is so happy all the time. The food was good, not great but good. Service was excellent. Christie (wife) thought it was cute that they put chocolates on our pillow the first night but every time we went into the room and took them off, they would put another one on there and by the 4th night we were waking up with chocolate smeared on our body someplace because the chocolate fell off the pillow into the sheets or we didnít see it before jumping in bed.

Everyone talks on the message boards about bringing sweats because the salon gets cold but the AC was broken and it was not very comfortable in there. It was OK at night but during the day, it was hot. Our room was cool but no hot water in our shower. I showered on the back of the boat but the wife was not enjoying cold showers. Neither of the two things really bothered us though. The one tough thing was, the wind was blowing pretty hard consistently every day. It made visibility change between 40-60ft each day (they said its normally 100+) but still not bad in my eyes. What it did do was caused the boat to make heavy swings when moored to the buoy. You come back to where the boat was and find nothing because it swung 150 yards in one direction or another. It was constantly swinging so you could NOT just calculate that the wind is blowing north so the boat may be slightly north of where we entered. The swing was greater than 90 deg. One time I told the wife that we would just wait for it to swing back to us at our safety stop. It took 12 minutes to swing back and I really started to question myself if I was in the right spot then out of the blue, there it came. The DM always seem to go back to right were the boat was located. I asked how they knew and they said it was luck. Donít believe that but I have no idea how they can calculate boat swing.

All in all , I really liked the live-aboard. Christie is happy with 2-3 dives a day while only doing 1 or maybe 2 night dives for the week so she is mixed about being bored the rest of the time. The people we clicked with were all on almost every dive so she was left on the boat alone. She enjoys reading but she said reading 5 hours every day was too much down time for her. The last day she switched up her dives to do the last morning, first afternoon and the night dive and said it was a little better than doing the first 3 and hanging from 2 till whenever I finished my last dive.

I would recommend the Sun Dancer II. Some on board did not have AC in their rooms and said it would get very hot as with the salon. Those people may have a different opinion or complaint but I had AC in my room so it wasn't an issue for me. I think IF they could have fixed it they would have. I personally would have been OK waiting to leave Sunday morning to get the AC fixed for them but it's not my boat or schedule.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Thanks for the report. Its too bad about the AC. It does make a difference when you are able to cool down thru the day and sleep well at night. So, did you take a class?
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Quote Originally Posted by PACKRMAN View Post
    Thanks for the report. Its too bad about the AC. It does make a difference when you are able to cool down thru the day and sleep well at night. So, did you take a class?
    We did not take any classes due to they didn't really offer anything that we thought would be of any value. Fish ID for $150 per person was not high on our list to fork outr $300 on. No Wrecks which is what we considered so that was out. We asked and they really didn't seem to be eager to offer anything.

Like I said, the AC in "MY" room worked fine. I was really OK with everything, even the salon being hot. Just made it easy to stay outside and enjoy the view. Others had hot rooms at night. We just lucked out and got the one room on the lower level where the AC was working. Funny thing about that is, everyone kept asking about the AC and they only replied with "we will take a look at it". They would never actually acknowledge that there was an issue almost like we wouldn't notice if they didn't talk about it. I asked Elia, the salon service person, if it is always hot in the salon almost every day and she replied the same thing every time with "I like it better when it's cooler".

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information