Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: what happened to the forum?

Babygirl31287, I live around the same area as bennerman. Getting in dives is hard. I have all my equipment and find it hard to just go out and do a dive. I'm in Dallas right now. I can go to local dive locations and find a buddy. There is always someone up for a dive in Dallas. I go to typical dive sites in Ontario and there MIGHT be someone there for a dive. Only way to guarantee a dive is go on a boat charter for $45 to $150 a day. For around $100 I've gotten in 14 dives in Dallas. In Ontario that would have been more like $700 to $1000 to get that much diving in around Ontario (driving, food, air fills, boat fees, etc.). My wife actually noted that a 3 day dive weekend cost more than going to the Caribbean for a 10 day cruise.

Bennerman, how'd you lose the dives from Cuba? Do you have a computer? You can always get the logs from the computer. If you were diving tables you can always guess at what your dives in Cuba were. That is, if you were there for a week and knew you did 2 dives a day, just make up the dives with a rough idea of how depth you went. Maybe checking out a list of the dive sites in Cuba would help you remember where you went. I always like to write out notes about were I went.

I actually have the basic in my computer, I download the dives into a log on my laptop and add notes, I write some details into a logbook and I might export from my log software. This way I have plenty of copies of the dives.

For the first 100 dives his is important if you ever want to go professional (divemaster, instructor, etc.) or if you want to start taking tec courses. Most the time the instructors want to see you have at least 100 dives. In some cases they are required to check before you can get certified in the higher certifications.

After you get 100 dives you really want to keep the logs for yourself, if at all. Sort of like a journal/diary. It is nice to look back through my old logs and remember places I've been, people I've gone diving with, etc. One logbook I have has the name and contact information for some Belgium instructors I met in Saint Lucia. Racking up dives after the first 100 doesn't usually matter as far as proof to enroll in a course.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Babygirl31287, I live around the same area as bennerman. Getting in dives is hard. I have all my equipment and find it hard to just go out and do a dive. I'm in Dallas right now. I can go to local dive locations and find a buddy. There is always someone up for a dive in Dallas. I go to typical dive sites in Ontario and there MIGHT be someone there for a dive. Only way to guarantee a dive is go on a boat charter for $45 to $150 a day. For around $100 I've gotten in 14 dives in Dallas. In Ontario that would have been more like $700 to $1000 to get that much diving in around Ontario (driving, food, air fills, boat fees, etc.). My wife actually noted that a 3 day dive weekend cost more than going to the Caribbean for a 10 day cruise.

Bennerman, how'd you lose the dives from Cuba? Do you have a computer? You can always get the logs from the computer. If you were diving tables you can always guess at what your dives in Cuba were. That is, if you were there for a week and knew you did 2 dives a day, just make up the dives with a rough idea of how depth you went. Maybe checking out a list of the dive sites in Cuba would help you remember where you went. I always like to write out notes about were I went.

I actually have the basic in my computer, I download the dives into a log on my laptop and add notes, I write some details into a logbook and I might export from my log software. This way I have plenty of copies of the dives.

For the first 100 dives his is important if you ever want to go professional (divemaster, instructor, etc.) or if you want to start taking tec courses. Most the time the instructors want to see you have at least 100 dives. In some cases they are required to check before you can get certified in the higher certifications.

After you get 100 dives you really want to keep the logs for yourself, if at all. Sort of like a journal/diary. It is nice to look back through my old logs and remember places I've been, people I've gone diving with, etc. One logbook I have has the name and contact information for some Belgium instructors I met in Saint Lucia. Racking up dives after the first 100 doesn't usually matter as far as proof to enroll in a course.
    Lost my dive book, printed some pages from the internet, found the book, lost the pages. :P
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

How many dives did you lose? Maybe you need to come down to Dallas we we'll just rack up a few dozen dives.

Shark
    4, and that'd be amazing. Except if I had the money to fly to dallas, I'd just do a whole summer of diving every weekend here XD
    Rock on, go big or go home, hit the ground running, hang in there kitty... don't eat the yellow snow...

Images
    I use my log book (when I even log them) so I can keep track of people and places. I have email address', pictures, stickers the good restaurants and anything I want to remember. I could care less about my ndl's or si anymore. I have all that on my 'puter. I do keep track of the water temp at depth for future reference. I also like to track my skills so I can stay current...last time I did a share air drill, last time to shoot an SMB that kind of stuff. I also keep an equipment review log. As I go through different pieces of equipment I like to keep a record of what I liked or disliked about it.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Nice. Like Zeagle Eagle, I keep track of people, places, gear and water temps but I didn't think to keep track of skills. I should start writing those down. I cannot remember how long it has been since I took all my gear off at depth.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information