Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back inflate pushing forward at surface...

Grouper Founding Member

Back inflate pushing forward at surface...

Will a back inflate BC still push you forward if you are properly weighted and inflated at the surface? My wife had a lot of trouble at the surface with the back inflate BC during our second day of pool work for our OW cert. The first day she had zero problems with a jacket style. Are there any other factors to consider? She liked the back inflate better under water, but it was hard for her to overlook the surface experience.
    Head for the kelp!

Grouper Founding Member
    If you are perfectly vertical and do not use trim weights, then IME, my back inflate will push me forward. That being said, the percentage of time I'm on the surface is so small compared to the time underwater. Also, I use trim weights and keep 40-50% of my weight in the rear trim pouches. Finally, I just lean backwards as if doing a surface swim on my back, and find that I'm perfectly comfortable on the surface even for extended periods of time.
    Tom

Grouper
    If I am on the surface either my bc is only inflated enough to get my head up or I have it full and am floating on my back. A fully inflated bc does push me slightly forward if I am trying to sit vertical on the surface but I rarely want to be in that position. Most of the time if I am on the surface I am floating comfortably on my back.

Barracuda ST-Forum Mod dallasdivergirl's Avatar
    I don't notice that my back inflate does that, but I don't put very much air in mine when at the surface.
    Sparky the ninjita
    There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

http://beautybelow.com/

Grouper Founding Member
    First learn to relax and lay back don't inflate the BC so much it will push you foward if it is over inflated.
    As long as you can breathe, you're still alive

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    On the surface, there is no need to over inflate the back-inflate.I use a BP/W and have little trouble on the surface. If you over-inflate, then you must lie back (very rlaxing by the way).
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    On the surface, there is no need to over inflate the back-inflate.I use a BP/W and have little trouble on the surface. If you over-inflate, then you must lie back (very rlaxing by the way).
    i see alot of back inflate divers that tend to just overfill and have a hard time staying back. i noticed that i put just a little bit of air in my BC and i just keep my head above water, and if feels just fine to me. no push forward.

Grand Master Spammer Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CrzyJay456 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vercingetorix View Post
    i see alot of back inflate divers that tend to just overfill and have a hard time staying back. i noticed that i put just a little bit of air in my BC and i just keep my head above water, and if feels just fine to me. no push forward.
    OK. That's what I said. I have no trouble on the surface because I don't put much air in the wing, so I never have a problem of being pushed forward.
    rick

Depending on how your weight is distributed a BI can push you forward on the surface even with very little air in there. It's going to depend on the person, the BC, the actual positioning and amount of the weights, it's just simple physics. I had this problem when I first got a BI and had to mess with trim weights a bit to get it right. Lots of people say just lean back, but I personally find that uncomfortable.

Grouper
    Images
    When I was researching this very topic, I found this practical explanation of BC design on the Zeagle site which explains the physics of BC buoyance fairly well:

http://www.zeagle.com/index.php?subm...&link=BCDesign

this helped me gain a better understanding and make a LOT of sense! Hope it helps!
    i will play for gumbo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information