Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASE vs PADI cert

TadPole

NASE vs PADI cert

Hi all,

I have done some diving in the past but I wasn't certified so I've done it with an instructor. I just thought it was time to get certified.
    I have contacted a scuba school (which had PADI/NASE/NAUI logo on their webpage) I payed and I am supposed to start on Monday. This weekend though I'm supposed to do the self-studying. They sent me a link but that redirects me to a NASE site. I called them and they said it is fine, it is the same as PADI, etc...
    Could you please tell me if there is an advantage of one over the other? I know everybody knows about PADI everywhere I've been in the world! But I have never heard of NASE until now. I am going to Brazil in a month, is it possible they will not accept/recognize my card? And, moreover, for the future, will I have any problems having a NASE cert and not a PADI?
    I hope it's not a stupid question (sorry if it is)! In case you think PADI is better (more widely accepted) I can still cancel, get my money back and go to a PADI school.

Thanks and regards,
    Gabriel

There is always a chance that someone will not recognize a NASE certification. Anyone who is a real dive instructor should know who NASE is or be able to quickly evaluate that a NASE trained diver is just as good, if not better, than a PADI trained diver.

The only time I have seen a dive operation question someone who didn't have a PADI card, it was the guy who checked c-cards and drove the bus. He wasn't a diver. He worked for a large shop which paid this guy to fill out paperwork and drive the bus. When the divers insisted their card was just as good as a PADI card he thought about it for a second then the divers said, "Fine, you can give us our money back." He let them go diving.

Is there a possibility someone will refuse you? Sure. The less known the agency the bigger the chance someone will deny you. However, if I ran a shop I'd only turn away customers if I felt I could be held accountable for a bad thing happening. It is highly unlikely someone is going to say, "No, I don't want your money because there is an incredibly small chance you will harm yourself and I'll be held accountable."

Bottom line, everyone who works in the dive industry will tell you it isn't about the agency; it is all about the instructor. If the NASE instructor is a good instructor then you should be fine.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Megalodon
    Images
    I've heard of NASE, but haven't seen a lot of divers with it for cert. At the diver level, there's not a lot of difference between the 3, other than recognition. I personally would go for PADI or NAUI due to worldwide recognition, and my low knowledge of NASE, but then again, it may be readily accepted Brazil.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    I have not heard of NASE until now. 'course I have only been diving about 40 years and I think split fins are awesome.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images

NASE

I just googled it. It's the national association for the self employed. header_logo.gif
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    It's possible it could be this outfit too. nase-worldwide-logo.jpg
    --Zeagle Eagle

Shark
    Gabriel,

Please let us know how the trip to Brazil goes. Do you know where you'll be diving?
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Megalodon
    Images
    I've been diving for 39 years, what are these split fins you mention? When my fins split, I toss 'em

Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    I've been diving for 39 years, what are these split fins you mention? When my fins split, I toss 'em
    Maybe next time you can sell your split fins to Zeagle Eagle.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Megalodon
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    Maybe next time you can sell your split fins to Zeagle Eagle.
    True...

And back to
    svgaby's question. Personally, I'm a little wary of some of the odd ma out agencies, mostly due to possible recognition issues. It appears to be a good agency, but there may be reputation and recognition problems out of country. An older than me dive buddy had problems with his LA County Cert in Thailand years ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information