Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deep cleaning your regs.

Images
    I have been using silicone for as long as I can remember; however, I am open to new products that work. Why do you recommend Christolube or Tribolube? I see Amazon sells it; but, it is very expensive. What areas do you use it on? Is it that much superior to plain silicone?
    As far as doing it at the rinse tank after every dive, I agree that's not a good idea.

Using hose protectors is a must for me. I have never had a hose failure in the area where the hose meets the metal in 40 years of diving. If you don't pull back the hose protector when rinsing and push it back for storage then you are asking for corrosion.

Good question about how much to tighten the hoses. I do not own the proper torque wrench to tighten to factory specs, so I tighten just past snug. Just a smidgen past finger tight. It's the O rings job to provide the seal, not the threads on the fitting. The threads are there to prevent the hose from falling off. If I can loosen it with just my fingers then it is not tight enough.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    I gotta' get off of this forum. It's costing me too much money. I was on amazon this morning checking out the cost of Christolube and a torque wrench. LOL

http://www.craftsman.com/craftsman-m...2&blockType=G2
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Its not me that recommends those lubricants, that would be the manufacturers. It has been a very long time since they have recommended silicone, I could look through some of the older manuals and see how far back I get before silicone is recommended. The nice thing about the "white lubes" is they do not get sticky/gunky with age. Silicone still has it's uses, camera and computer o'rings, speargun bands and putting hose protectors on to name a few.

A enviro sealed piston, ie. Atomic and Scubapro, you have to use about 2oz of Christolube in the service, dramatically increases the cost of the service.

Good on you on your tightening technique. I hate to get a reg that a gorilla has tightened.

Rick

Images
    How to replace a hose, by Scuba Toys:

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/joelarry/hpspool.asp
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    2 ounces for one job....Holy Tamales!
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    2 ounces for one job....Holy Tamales!
    The 2 ounces is not just for lubbing... It's for packing the environmental seal. To get the ambient pressure, water has to press on the diaphragm. To keep freezing cold water away from the internal air flow, you have a cap that is packed with grease, then the water pushes on the cap which pushes on the grease that pushes on the diaphragm, instead of cold water pushing on it.

TadPole
    I sometimes skip brushing my teeth because I can't be bothered. Ain't no way I'm doing that every dive.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ScubaToys Larry View Post
    The 2 ounces is not just for lubbing... It's for packing the environmental seal. To get the ambient pressure, water has to press on the diaphragm. To keep freezing cold water away from the internal air flow, you have a cap that is packed with grease, then the water pushes on the cap which pushes on the grease that pushes on the diaphragm, instead of cold water pushing on it.
    I love it when you talk dirty.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Images
    I usually just soak all my gear in fresh water right inside the kit bag I use to carry my gear. It is semi water proof so it will hold enough water to soak the gear for at least an hour.

KitBag.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information