Thread: Bifocals

TadPole

Bifocals

Does anyone make an add-on bifocal/magnifier that will work on prescription lens? I wear glasses and need bifocals. So I have prescription lens in my dive mask. Now what I need is bifocals. I have tried the standard peel and stick bifocals but they only work on a mask with a standard flat lens in it (not prescriptions lens).

I was at ScubaToys last week and they have these reusable lens near the cash register. They weren't the usual peel and stick. They held on by wetting them and stuck by water tension. I'm not sure if they might work a little better. Maybe see if they have something local which is similar. I don't know if you'll be able to tell by just looking at them or if they are cheap enough you could give them a try.

The only other suggestion I'd have is look to contact lens. They do have bifocal contacts now.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Grand Poobah Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    The ones to stick on with any system really won't work because of the curve of your glass. We can order you a custom bifocal mask. We do those all the time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    I was at ScubaToys last week and they have these reusable lens near the cash register. They weren't the usual peel and stick. They held on by wetting them and stuck by water tension. I'm not sure if they might work a little better. Maybe see if they have something local which is similar. I don't know if you'll be able to tell by just looking at them or if they are cheap enough you could give them a try.
    The only other suggestion I'd have is look to contact lens. They do have bifocal contacts now.
    I used those little stick on ones for a little while. They don't work well. They are very hard to place just right and I always end up losing one on a trip. A custom mask is expensive; but, the only way to go.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Guppy
    Images
    If you can see up close well enough to read your gauges and use your camera without any glasses or contacts you could try mono vision. Basically you use one eye without correction for near vision and use correction with the other eye for distance vision.
    It is a legitimate process, however men often have trouble getting use to it. My wife uses it all the time so I know it can be done.

Trident lists Aqua-Optics in their catalog it uses a glue to hold in the soft magnifiers, they might work better. I have never heard of anyone using them yet.

Barracuda
    Images
    I have to use no line glasses as I need close up, middle & far glasses. Years ago one of the sales people at ST suggested I try to look thourgh the replacement lens for a mask. I was buying myh whole setup at the time. We tried serveral different strenth lens and found one for my right eye that I could read my guages and still see the lenght of the shop. Then we found one for the left. A couple of years later my eyes changed for the worse and changed the strong one to the weak eye & got a stronger one installed. Maske & lens were around $120 if I remember right. I can read my wrist watch dial but not the date. It's worth a try if you are near ST.

Thread Information