Thread: Average open water fee

Guppy
    Images

Average open water fee

What is an average fee for an open water class in Oklahoma. The shop I'm at charges $400 for an open water class that includes everything, it could be less depending on equipment needs. If they rent the equipment or provide their own it is less.
    I ask because my son who lives 2 1/2 hrs away in a college town was quoted $400 for registration + $150 for equipment + $150 for materials, a grand total of $700 for an open water class.
    That just seemed real high for a regular open water class with shore dives in a local lake.

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    $200-250 plus the personal gear that you will need to purchase (mask,snorkel, fins) and maybe some gear rental depending on what you need. I would hold off on buying a full kit until you get some experience and can make the right choices.
    DevilDiver

Images
    $700 seems very high to me. A couple years back, I got my wife in a private class for $350 (total). This included any gear she needed, but she already had a full set of gear.

This is in Missouri - She took the class in Branson.

Snagel

Barracuda Founding Member
    A local shop here charges $195 for the course. You have to pay quarry fees and provide your own equipment or rent it for addition cost.

Grouper
    Seems very high to me. $150 for equipment (do they get to keep it?) and $150 for materials (is it made out of gold?). I'd look elsewhere. Maybe somewhere other than a college town.

Shark
    Is the course being taught through the college?

I can see 2 or 3 credit hours costing that much.

If they are requiring PADI e-learning, that adds another $100 (I think).
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Guppy
    Images
    No it's not a college class. The materials fee of $150 is for the PADI E-Learning. The $150 equipment fee is for mask, snorkel and fins. The $400 registration fee is what I am questioning. The only reason he is considering it is because he doesn't have enough free time to go else where. He could take it at the shop I work with but we do classes in the evening during the week.

Shark
    It seems very high to me.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo View Post
    What is an average fee for an open water class in Oklahoma. The shop I'm at charges $400 for an open water class that includes everything, it could be less depending on equipment needs. If they rent the equipment or provide their own it is less.
    I ask because my son who lives 2 1/2 hrs away in a college town was quoted $400 for registration + $150 for equipment + $150 for materials, a grand total of $700 for an open water class.
    That just seemed real high for a regular open water class with shore dives in a local lake.
    That seems like an extremely high price. If that is the only option in his town, I would suggest he find a class offered elsewhere. I took my OW class from Tim Knight at Tenkiller lake because the time frame worked better for me, and I was very happy with it.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Thread Information