Thread: Rescue Class??

Images

Rescue Class??

I haven't taken a Dive Class in several years (Well, I guess I took Nitrox last year, but not "really" a dive class). I have always thought that I should do the Rescue Class at some point, but have been too busy diving to fit this in. Today, got a email from a local dive shop offering the class and thought I would look into it. In the back of my mind I thought maybe Rescue would be something I could do over the winter...I mean what I know about it is it is more skills based than diving.

So, the first thing I noticed is I could take the full class with the dive shop for $295 or if I want to do the elearning along with the checkout portion at the dive shop it's $360. Huhhhh???? What am I missing here?

The other thing I noticed is that there are a couple open water dives....why? Why can't you do the book work and perform the skills in a pool? Why do I need to go to a quarry or lake to finish the skills? I know I'm missing something, but it appears to me that a pool would work for the skills and something I could do when there is snow and ice covering the local quarries. Help a brother out with the why's!

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    If you think Rescue is only book work with pool checkouts you have the wrong impression. I did rescue through ST in 2007 and TA'd a few classes when I was working on DM.

Your two days of diving are preceded by a lengthy written test and multiple nights training in the pool. Day 1 of diving is skills performance in open water and Day 2 is "Game Day". Game Day is where the instructors and DMs throw multiple real-world scenarios at you to see how you and your fellow classmates react - individually and as a group. Essentially it is "Game On" and anything and everything can happen. All of your skills will be tested including leadership over other divers. I was amazed at how real it felt.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigg_Budd View Post
    If you think Rescue is only book work with pool checkouts you have the wrong impression. I did rescue through ST in 2007 and TA'd a few classes when I was working on DM.

Your two days of diving are preceded by a lengthy written test and multiple nights training in the pool. Day 1 of diving is skills performance in open water and Day 2 is "Game Day". Game Day is where the instructors and DMs throw multiple real-world scenarios at you to see how you and your fellow classmates react - individually and as a group. Essentially it is "Game On" and anything and everything can happen. All of your skills will be tested including leadership over other divers. I was amazed at how real it felt.
    So true. Its not a class where you read a book and do a dive and you get a certificate like deep water or dry suit. It is much more. Best class I took.

Images
    I guess that is kind of what I'm saying. There are a lot of skills you have to do - you are not just going out and diving, but from what I have seen at quarries where they are doing them....they could have easily been done in a pool in the middle of winter. I guess I get it and like BB said everybody I have talked to have said it is the best class they have taken.

Probably better learning the skills in as real conditions as possible. I just hate devoting good diving days to more training and was hoping something I could do when I couldn't do the diving.

Snagel

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snagel View Post
    I guess that is kind of what I'm saying. There are a lot of skills you have to do - you are not just going out and diving, but from what I have seen at quarries where they are doing them....they could have easily been done in a pool in the middle of winter. I guess I get it and like BB said everybody I have talked to have said it is the best class they have taken.

Probably better learning the skills in as real conditions as possible. I just hate devoting good diving days to more training and was hoping something I could do when I couldn't do the diving.

Snagel
    If you don't really want to learn the skills, don't take the class. It's kind of pointless to take a class just because you haven't in a while. If you would rather dive, then be happy diving. Diving is all about enjoyment!

Rescue is one of the classes I want to take and have been putting off for a while. Everyone I have talked to says this is a great class and they really learned a lot from it.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Images
    I really do want to take the class and I really do want to learn the skills. I was just hoping to try and get it in over the winter where I can still get some dive activities in over a long winter. Please don't misinterpret what I'm saying. I don't just want to take a class to take a class and I don't want to just glide through something to get another card. I've heard great things about the class and everybody says it is the best class they have ever taken. I really don't know what is involved in the class because I haven't taken it. From what I have heard and what I have seen when out diving there isn't really a lot of diving to to the class....it is more learning how to control emergency situations and what to do. Therefore, I was simply just asking to begin with, is this something that could be done in a pool inside. Again, something I could devote time to over the winter and still enjoy the sport of diving. I've watched many classes at the quarry I go to. Most of the time they are floating on the surface near the dock areas calling for pizzas and performing CPR and/or other skills. Again, it all appears to me to be something that does not really need to be done in a quarry. So, I was just asking a question that is outside the box a little. I'm not concerned about the CPR, First Aid, and First Responder Skills because I am a certified first responder and have been for over 20 years. I want to learn how to perform these skills in the water, how to control emergency situations when diving, how to care for my fellow divers, etc. I believe that is what this class is all about and not really a class where you need to be in a huge body of open water to do it. I'm not trying to rewrite the requirements and just was asking if the class can/is in some areas offered in the pool environments as opposed the quarries/lakes/oceans.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Snagel, I did my class in Mexico. It turns out I was the only student with three instructors. It was ALL deep water diving. The only pool time we spent was learning how far I could swim in an OOA situation. Even the CPR was different. Rescue breaths in the water is tough, remember you have to get up over the victim to give them a breath. It was the most physically exhausting days of diving I have ever had. My guess is that you were seeing larger classes and since everyone has to perform the skill there was a fair amount of waiting around. While I did miss the opportunity to learn from other peoples questions and mistakes I do think that a small class can be a great thing. I think a rescue class with two or three divers would be perfect. One that focuses on diving is key since, in my mind, that is where most of the accidents would occur.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Guppy
    Maybe the scenarios are done in OW because probably a majority of divers worldwide dive in the ocean or other large bodies of water--where conditions can include chop, current, and other conditions not usually found in a quarry. Just a possibility. Yeah, I would think all the skills plus the scenarios could be done in the pool. I recommend people mimic the skills on land (same with the 20 OW skills & DM skills) to at least keep the steps fresh in your mind. Though this is obviously not as good as the real thing. As for the cost -- classroom vs. e learning-- as with the OW course, it would seem the e learning should be less $. Someone explained this once but I can't remember the reason. I recall it has something to do with the % of $ that goes to PADI (or any agency)--I don't belive the shop makes any more if it's e learning.
    Nova Scotia Divemaster

Thread Information