Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Tenkiller

Lake Tenkiller

I was talking to someone at ScubaToys today (I was in a rush so I forgot to get details) but he mentioned they do their AOW classes at Lake Tenkiller. Anyone have any details about this place? I did a quick search and found Gene's Aqua Pro and Nautical Adventures. Where would I go if I was looking for people at Tenkiller? Is there a place with campgrounds or an entry point for scuba divers? I was thinking I might just go there and see if I can find a buddy.

Or is there anyone here going to Tenkiller this weekend? It is a long drive (4 or 5 hours from Dallas) but I don't really have anything else to do this weekend. So I was thinking about heading out around 8am, stop for lunch, go diving for a few hours, drive back to Dallas. Or is there somewhere I can stay there for the weekend?
    This signature left intentionally blank

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    Join the Oklahoma Aquanauts (oklahomaaquanauts.com). Someone is there every weekend. PM sooner wink , he is an organizer and has his thumb on everything. If your driving that far consider Beaver Lake. Shoot me a PM, I will dig up some phone numbers for you. I am tied up the next couple of weekends with kids going to school or I would be game.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Grouper
    Images
    If your driving that far consider Beaver Lake
    ditto. 5-6 hours from Dallas and you can get to a lot better diving.
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

Thanks guys. I went to oklahomaaquanauts.com (took me to a Meetup page and I joined). Waiting for Rick Smith to approve me.

Looks like meetups are on Tuesdays. I have to work in Dallas on Tuesdays. So I won't be able to attend that.

Talked to the guys a ScubaToys and DevilDiver. General feedback was "come on out to CSSP and I'm sure there'll be someone there to buddy with you." When out to CSSP and sure enough found someone who came out with his son but brought his gear in case someone showed up for a dive. Jon became my insta-buddy (and a pretty good insta-buddy too). I was planning on doing the same thing with Tenkiller.

Maybe I'll just drive up to Beaver Lake. Is there a Marriott property there (Residence Inn, Springhill Suites, Renaissance, Courtyard, etc.)? I have points and would stay at a Marriott if there is one nearby. Is there an address I can google for Beaver Lake? Then I could see if there are any Marriott properties near there.

Off to send a PM to PACKRMAN.

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    http://www.candjsports.com

This is where you want to go. MAYBE there is a Marriott in Eureka Springs.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Grouper
    Images
    there should be a Marriot property in Rogers or Bentonville which are both very close to Beaver
    My gear my life I will check my gear every time

I have a meetup in Dallas tomorrow. So I'll drive up to Beaver Lake right now and spend a few hours looking around. Should be able to get there around 3pm and stay until 6pm or 7pm then head back to Dallas. I have 2 eCertificates for Marriott which expire at the end of the year. So I'll go back up some other weekend and stay at a Marriott. I'll bring all my gear in case I get a chance to get wet.

I was just approved for Oklahoma Aquanuats and got the address for C & J Sports from the website.

Hope to spend a lot more time diving around here.

Barracuda
    Images
    I'm in Bentonville. Lemme know if you wanna get a beer. I'll try to scrounge up wheelman as well.
    i'm not as think as you drunk i am ...

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scubadiver888 View Post
    I have a meetup in Dallas tomorrow. So I'll drive up to Beaver Lake right now and spend a few hours looking around. Should be able to get there around 3pm and stay until 6pm or 7pm then head back to Dallas. I have 2 eCertificates for Marriott which expire at the end of the year. So I'll go back up some other weekend and stay at a Marriott. I'll bring all my gear in case I get a chance to get wet.

I was just approved for Oklahoma Aquanuats and got the address for C & J Sports from the website.

Hope to spend a lot more time diving around here.
    This may be a bit late now, but you need to do a lot of internet work first. Beaver is a HUGE lake and your GPS will lie to you. It will telll you that you are 5 miles from a place but the road to get there will take you 30-45 minutes! All the diving is down by the dam. Staying in Bentonville or Rogers will put you about hour drive away from the diving. Eureka springs has lots of hotels and may have one that fits your needs, and it's not too far of a drive to the dam area (and C&J sports is you need tanks, fills, etc)
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Tenkiller isn't a bad dive site, and I would think that it's a lot closer to Dallas than Beaver is. If you want to go there, I will recommend Nautical Adventures up the road in Cookson. Tim Knight is a great guy and did my OW class dam-near a decade ago (I say, I say that's a joke boy. "dam" near...) The shore diving there is from the state park by the dam. Lots of camping and depending on the site you could walk from your camp right into the water to dive. Rains blow out the vis pretty bad, so does heavy wave action from boats. I usually call or message Tim to find out what the temps and vis are like. Nautical Adventures has a facebook page too. If you go there, I HIGHLY recommend the restaurant right across from the state park. Best burgers by a dam-site!
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information