Thread: Mask for Cro-Magnon man?? Figuring out fire was easy compared to finding a mask

TadPole

Mask for Cro-Magnon man?? Figuring out fire was easy compared to finding a mask

First post, I searched for deep eye sockets and high brow and did not find anything related. New diver but have snorkeled in all the usual places. Never had a mask that fit in 20 years. I just thought they all needed to be cleared frequently. I decided to get certified and take the family on a Cozumel dive and would like to have a mask that actually fits, the problem is I have a raised brow as well as deep eye sockets. We went through no less than 7 masks at our pool session and have used at least 25 masks or so over the years. None have fit to the point they did not leak...from niagra falls type leaks to a slow steady stream.

The good news is I'm really good at clearing my mask and the constant stream of water really keeps the fogging down. The downside is clearing my mask every 5-10 minutes is kind of a pain and distracting from the fun.

Do I just live with this....or can anyone recommend a mask that will not rub on my forehead and have a deep enough skirt to go back behind my eye sockets. My kind figured out fire 10,000 years ago, now were taking on water!!!

thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

Hard part about masks is you have to try them on. I spent the first 5 years clearing my mask all the time. Thought this was just something I'd have to live with. Every dive shop I went into I'd mention this. Finally was in a shop where the guy looked at my face and said, "This mask will work for you." I gave it a try and it works great. No mask clearing, no leaking. I cannot guarantee there is a mask out there for you but I'd say don't give up. Diving is so much better I don't spend the dive clearing my mask all the time.

I did notice that dive shops only supported a select few manufacturers. So one dive shop might not have anything that fits you. I know that some masks just don't fit me well. So if the shop only sells Atomic, Mares and Poseidon then maybe none of their masks fit you. In the end I ended up finding that a kids mask fit me best. So maybe you have to try masks typically designed for kids or women. You never know they might just fit.

Also, if you tighten your mask too much it will deform it and it WILL leak. When I put my mask on I can LITERALLY pull it 6 inches from my face. If you cannot pull your mask 6 inches from your face then the strap might be too tight.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Dominus Diabolus Urinatoris ST-Forum Mod DevilDiver's Avatar
    Images
    Make a trip down to Scuba Toys and see if they can help you out. It is not that far from where you are located.

They have at least 50 different masks (or close to) that you can try out to see how they work for you. I am sure that they have had customers in a simular situation as you and they will be able to help you out.
    DevilDiver

Shark
    The Tusa Tri-Ex mask might be a good place to start. They seem to be popular among gents with a prominent brow.

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detai...id=TusaM31Mask
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Guppy
    Images
    Close to Tuttle you might try Bluewater in Okc or Dive Pros in Lawton.

Images
    If you can't find a mask that fits, you could try a mask with a purge valve. All my masks have them and I love them.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Ordered an XS Scuba Cortez...we will see and I will post results. Thanks again for your responses.
    Jay

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    I would have to agree with DevilDiver and the others. Make the trip to a dive shop with a great selection and try masks on. One with a pool is better. If you order online the chances of spending lots of money to be unhappy are pretty fair.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Images
    You can't get a good fitting mask on line. You have to try them on first and then you can order.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    Hi, everyone! I have a need for a new mask, because my old one is already worn out and doesn't fit quite tight enough anymore. Any suggestions of masks under $ 100?

I've been looking for a suitable mask on the Internet and stopped my sight on this one https://dipndive.com/scuba-equipment...k#.VK6XIiusXOM
    Does anyone know anything about it?

Thread Information