Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Diver Physical Requirements

Images

Rescue Diver Physical Requirements

What sort of physical shape should one be in to take the PADI rescue diver course? I am old and fat; but, would like to take the course.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Images
    Do you think 66 is too old?
    --Zeagle Eagle

First, it depends on the rescue course. I've heard from other divers about how easy the rescue course was compared to my DM training. However, my DM training was easy compared to my rescue course. When I did my rescue course I could do a solid hour of cardio (heart rate around 150+) but I was totally exhausted by the end of my rescue course. The in pool training (2 full days) was hard but for the open water portion they pushed us as far as they thought we can take. I think the firs rescue started around 10am and we quit around 4pm with no break for lunch.

The open water day start off with asking if we had any questions because once we started we were on our own. All the instructors would be roleplaying and not coming out of character for the rest of the day. After we got clarification on a few questions we did a rescue scenario briefing then we did the rescue. After the first rescue we went right into a debriefing. Right at the end of the debriefing another rescue scenario started, no briefing. After we completed that rescue we did a debriefing but in the middle of the debriefing we had a third rescue scenario. As we finished the third rescue we had two divers needing rescue at the same time. As we paired off and rescued the two divers they gave us a third rescue (had to assess whether we continue the rescue we were currently working or switch to the third rescue and delegate one of the other rescues to the 'other divers' in the area. They kept this up until I cannot even remember what I was doing. I was totally exhausted and going on instinct.

The next day they told us they wanted to see if we were totally exhaust and unable to think would we do the right thing, instinctively. We all did well (or so they told us) and passed with flying colors. I think if they could have totally exhausted me faster then they would have give us less rescues to do.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Moderator ST-Forum Mod PACKRMAN's Avatar
    Images
    I was so sore I had trouble sleeping two of the nights. I did get to practice some of what I learned during a fun dive with all of the cramping I was having. Absolutely a course you have to take. One of the first things I was told is never make yourself the second victim. Don't get yourself in trouble where you have to be rescued too. I know you're diving with your daughter and I am pretty sure I know where that philosophy will end, but you get the point. Don't be afraid of the physical aspects, learn to work with what you've got.

And spend some time with a treadmill before the class.
    Originally from the Great White North, I give you...

Images
    Well it's a moot point right now. I blew out my knee on the last trip to COZ. Will need some surgery before class. I thought I would start studying now and if I am physically unable to pass the class, well at least I will go down in bubbles.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Well 8 months have passed and it's a new dive season, ready for that rescue class? I passed mine (NAUI) in 2009 at the age of 53. I'm in OK shape for my age but not a super athlete or anything. I've since added NAUI master to my card collection (at age 57). Rescue class was both fun and useful.

Grouper
    Images
    Off topic: Zeagle how did you blow out your knee?

Images
    Fell on a dive boat. I was walking when I should have been sitting and tore my meniscus. I am still going to rehab for it, as a matter of fact, I went this morning, all is well though, I got cleared for diving and should be heading to Cozumel at the end of the month. I don't care if I have to crawl across the boat. I am going diving. My dive dudes/boat people really take care of me. They watch out for me and my little girl too. It doesn't get much better than Del Mar Aquatics and Cozumel Marine World.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Grouper
    Images
    Good to hear that you have recovered. When will you be in Coz? I am going down May 8th-22nd.

Images
    I will be there April 25. I am searching for a new hotel to stay at today. I am getting a little tired of Casa Del Mar. It's getting a little worn.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information