Thread: Eel bites divers thumb off.

Images

Eel bites divers thumb off.

This happened to me once on a dive in Belize. A medium size eel swam out of nowhere and latched on to one of my fingers. Fortunately, it let go fairly quickly. I had 50 or 60 little pin pricks around the base of my finger and that's it. It could have gone very badly as the following video shows. BTW, if you feed critters underwater, you make it dangerous for the rest of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVQ4m8hfx-4
    --Zeagle Eagle

Megalodon
    Images
    1. OUCH!!!!!
    2. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    3. Totally agree, feeding wild critters is indeed dangerous! Especially by hand.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Totally agree! I was diving with someone MUCH more experienced than myself on a trip and was mortified when he started wiggling his fingers in front of a large morary to coax it out of it's hole. The only reason I didn't leaving him was I knew if something went wrong he would be needing help.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Megalodon
    Images
    I can just see that: "Come on...Come on out in the area you're really not comfortable in.... Holy SH*T!!!! Them things can move fast when they want to!!!!!!"

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    Those that feed critters under da sea, are building a bomb. I guess it's okay to feed a school of small fish some peas; but, other than that think about what you are doing.
    --Zeagle Eagle

Barracuda Founding Member
    Ouch....got what he deserves, didn't it say he was an instructor? He should have known better. On the last open water cert dive of my then 10yo daughter, the instructor thought it was a good idea to feed the small fish in the quarry some hotdogs. Well one of those thought my daughter's finger was a snack, it startled her enough she pulled her finger away and one of the teeth gave her a cut. I've been bit my fresh water fish without much issue, but from a 10yo's pov she was bleeding. 6 years later she still mentions it too me when she goes diving.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Guppy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeagle Eagle View Post
    Those that feed critters under da sea, are building a bomb. I guess it's okay to feed a school of small fish some peas; but, other than that think about what you are doing.
    Feeding predators is not a good idea sooner or later you may become the prey. I'll stick to taking pictures.

Images
    Great video. I've seen a follow-up to this somewhere along the line that covered more of the surgery and life after the surgery as well. Good message.

Keeping with the theme of the thread....I was in blue water a couple years ago tagging along with a group that was finishing up their certification. Most in the group had just finished certification and a couple still had a some skills to do. About half way through the dive I noticed one of the instructors speared a reef fish. I thought this was very unusual and thought he had the spear only to take care of a Lion Fish if we seen one. He then cut the fish in half and placed 1/2 of the fish on the end of his spear. He then led the group over to a hole in the reef and dangled the fish in front. All of a sudden a very large Green Eel shot out of the hole and grabbed the fish almost in the process taking the face off one of the younger divers that was perched close the hole trying to see what was going on. He then did it again with the other 1/2 of the fish.

This whole thing struck me as very strange and something that bothered me for a variety of reasons.

Snagel

Barracuda
    Images
    The guy that got his thumb bit off in the video was on a TV show on the Science or Discovery channel recently. A surgeon has attached one of his toes where his thumb used to be.

Thread Information