Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: one or two tanks?

one or two tanks?

My current project ends at the end of September but... I'm starting on another one right away (actually there is a 2 week overlap they have to figure out). So I am going to buy a Scuba tank while I'm in Dallas but I'm trying to decide if I want to buy one or two. When I go to CSSP I can use one tank and just fill it multiple times a day. It would be convenient to have two tanks. Then I could fill two tanks and save myself a trip to the fill station. Also, will there be times I'm too far from a fill station and want to have two tanks with me? If I go down to the coast or maybe dive the Lulu or Oriskany, should I have two tanks with me?

What does everyone think?
    This signature left intentionally blank

Megalodon
    Images
    Well, I'm a get two tanks kind of diver. I like double side mounting so as such I have: 2-AL80's 2-LP-85's, 2 HP119's and 2 AL-40's ready to go. You haven't side mounted until you dive double 40's, it's like you have no tank at all.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Shark
    Well...you can only drive one tank at a time.

If you want to take them all the way to Pensacola, it would be much cheaper to send them by rail.
    "Time's fun when you're having flies." -Kermit the Frog

Guppy
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by navyhmc View Post
    Well, I'm a get two tanks kind of diver. I like double side mounting so as such I have: 2-AL80's 2-LP-85's, 2 HP119's and 2 AL-40's ready to go. You haven't side mounted until you dive double 40's, it's like you have no tank at all.
    I have never tried side mount but using 40s or 45s made the most sense to me when I looked into that. I can not accept the idea of having things secured by bungees though, at least not something important like my tanks. It makes sense though for both carrying the load on the surface and seems like it should be more hydrodynamical correct in the water as well.

As for the original question I would go with two tanks at the very least.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Scuba tanks are like potato chips. You can never stop with just one. I started with 2 so that I could carry them with me and not need to rent before I dove. Then I bought 2 more. Then I wanted to dive deeper/longer so I bought 2 more and made them into doubles. then I bought another set of al80 doubles. Then I bought a set of HP steel doubles....

It's a sickness.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

I have multiple tanks but they are all in Canada. I'm starting my second collection. This will be the set I travel with. I figure I'll be renting tanks every other weekend while I'm in Dallas. Might as well buy some.

Grouper
    I'd buy 2. Realize that you're paying a premium for the convienence of not renting. Most folks don't figure in the recurring cost of hydros and visuals and only think about the initial cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    I'd buy 2. Realize that you're paying a premium for the convienence of not renting. Most folks don't figure in the recurring cost of hydros and visuals and only think about the initial cost.
    I dive enough that renting tanks, even with visual and hydro, would cost me more than owning. My dilemma is that I might get relocated to Florida, New York, California, Illinois or Canada. Right now I know I'm in Dallas for 6 more months. If I get relocated after that the cost of shipping the tanks might be more than the cost of the tanks. So my plan is to buy one or two tanks for use in Dallas then when I get relocated I'll just sell the tanks used. If I get relocated to a good dive area (Florida, California, Seattle) I'll do this again.

Guppy
    Images
    Ok we need to finish this thread quick before someone's non diving spouse realizes that purchasing only 1 tank at a time is an option.
    If you want two tanks and your reasoning for that is good for your situation go for it.
    I have not dove the Oriskany or Lulu but their listed locations @ 22 and 23 miles from shore would seem to exclude them from being a shore dive. All the boat dives I have done provided your tanks and weights as part of the trip so I'm not sure they figure into the equation.
    FYI now you will have tank lurkers waiting for you to move so one of us can get another pair of tanks cheap.
    Say have you considered buying 4?
    Seriously though I think shipping within the continental US will be reasonable enough for you to take them with you if you choose to.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Barracuda Founding Member
    Steveo, At no time did anyone say it was allowable to buy only 1.... Please I'm sure the scuba police will arrest you if you get only 1.
    'in media stat virtus'
    Virtue's in the middle

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information