Thread: Planning a continent wide trip

TadPole

Planning a continent wide trip

Hey folks. Planning a continent wide trip of Africa, much of what I want to see is terrestrial, but diving around Zanzibar has apparently been quite a well recommended activity so that's on the list too. Does anybody have any suggestions for other sites? Not too interested in South Africa on account of the great whites, and I'm toying with the idea of working an extra month and heading out to Mauritius, but would like suggestions for places to dive that aren't necessarily the most well known.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Barracuda
    Images
    If you make it to Egypt I can recommenf Dahab as an out of the way place. Farther north I would not recommend as the area north can be a bit unstable. Sharm is way too crowded. I have looked into Hurgada but keep going back to Dahab with the op Dive Urge. Some of the ops will have larger groups especially the Russians or eastern block divers. Prices start out really low for basic room & diving to outrageous.

TadPole
    Yeah North and West Africa are pretty conditional on the circumstances at the time at this point (if Ebola is still problematic West is out.), as well as partially dependent on my budget given the route I'm planning (South, then Central, then East and Island hopping in the Indian Ocean). I've heard the red sea has some great diving but unsure if I want to make the trip to Egypt specifically for that. I'm also looking for out of the way dive haunts that maybe won't be so degraded by tourists!

Barracuda
    Images
    The only place I would not go in Egypt right now would be the northern Sinai & north of Cairo. I was there in January and did not experience any disturbances, We drove from Abu Simbol to Aswan then a cruise on the nile to Luxor. We then drove to Cairo spending 2 nights in Minya. The people were friendly as usual. I wouldn't hestatitate to go back ( when it cools off).

Thread Information