Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What was your inspiration to start diving?

Grouper Founding Member
    The topic says it all! What made you want to dive?

For me, it was back in 2001 when I went on a Carnival cruise to Cozumel. We went on a snorkeling trip and I wanted to touch the bottom SO bad! It was only 20-25' deep, but I just couldn't reach it, main reason being, everytime I would go down my ears would hurt! I later found out how to clear my ears, but haven't been back to Cozumel. The fact that I couldn't get down there or even stay down for any reasonable period of time made me want to be a diver. So in 2006 I finally did it, I got certified!

Signed, Frank
    Mississippi Divers, visit MSscuba.com!
    <(((><

Guppy Founding Member
    my parents surprised me with it as a christmas present and at first i was lik woohoo this looks boring then i went to the class and acutally got excited to do it and now im obsessed but then larry sucked me in on paintball (TWO EXPENSIVE HOBBIES) but o well that was is 05 i believe ya its preaty amazing

Moderator Founding Member
    ST-Forum Mod
    Idida resort course while in Cozumel durring a cruise in 2001 with my hubby and dad. My dad was in the middle of getting his OW Cert at the time. After my dad got certified, my mom did....then my sister. I really enjoyed it and wanted to get certified but ended up getting pregnant instead. So then after I had my son, my husband got certified and now after my 2nd son I have finally gotten certified. It seems I have been a professional baby maker for quite some time. Ugh! I'm so excited cause I am leaving for a cruise on Thurs. and I'll get to go dive in Cozumel. This time I'm going to be on an actual reef...not some crappy tires and other junk that a shop is trying to grow stuff on for their resort course people. Ahhhhhh, to be in blue water....
    <DIV>Foo2</DIV>
    If I can't scuba then what's this whole thing about, what am I working toward? - Creed "The Office"

Grouper Founding Member
    paintballindivr's parents surprised me with a Christmas gift too. I was
    like "hey, I dont' even know you people." But I took the gift anyway,
    despite it kinda creeping me out. J/k! It's just something I always
    have wanted to do. My wife and I did a snuba dive in Maui during our
    honeymoon and it was enough to confirm my believed interests. And no,
    my wife didn't snuba with any of you on our honeymoon. Don't try to
    copy me.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]

Guppy Founding Member
    thas an original post im not gonna lie haha im only 16 so ya give me a break hahaha ya i saw that snuba thing that would make me more nervous than scuba becuase u hav to trust other people u dont acutally kno the gear they are givin u

Grouper Founding Member
    Watching Jacques Cousteau specials and Sea Hunt when I was a kid. I wanted to be out there under the ocean every waking minute. I started snorkeling when we moved to Italy, I had a little rubber raft with a concrete filled coffee can anchor that I'd paddle out into the Adriatic/Mediterranean/Aegean (depending on where we were camping that week), drop anchor, slip on my gear and spend the next 8 hours freediving to watch the fishys. Finally got certified to dive in '79 when I was 19!!

Grouper Founding Member
    Spent a week there, it was cheap, went on a snorkeling trip HOOKED.Came back was cert. the next month. Now Coz is atleast once a year among 1 other place differant.Besides I always want to swim with sharks.That is where my avatar pic is from(COZUMEL). SHH HE IS SLEEPING
    As long as you can breathe, you're still alive

TadPole
    I had a buddy that kept bugging me, so I decided to go for it. I love it, and have never looked back.

Grouper Founding Member
    I've always been obsessed with the ocean from day one. However, it really wasn't until we went to Cozumel in 05 and snorkeled did I want to get certified. Plus two good friends were divers which allowed my girlfriend and I to have more dive buddies.

Grouper Founding Member
    My family was posted to Panama in the 80's and I was in high school. The excellent location plus the impossible to argue with MSW program: $40 for Padi OW (included all 6 check out dives in the Caribean waters of the Atlantic side of Panama!!) plus the equipment rental ran about $50.
    <DIV></DIV>
    <DIV>You have got to love subsidized military lifestyles.</DIV>

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information