Thread: assistance in choosing a dive computer.

TadPole

assistance in choosing a dive computer.

Hello everyone, New to the Forum from So. Cal. Hows everyone doing.

I am in the market for a new dive computer and I have been looking at the Scubapro sol and the Mares Icon HD. what do you guys think of these two products and if you guys can recommend a different brand that are similar to these 2 computers. or any other recommendation for that matter.

Thanks you all in advance for the help.

Administrator "Forum Admin"
    ST-Forum Mod
    Ace21,

I'm Joey. I do work at the shop but I try never to be biast. I see you are interested in the Sol and the Icon HD. I am assuming you are choosing them for their large platform and hoseless option or even their expansion capabilities for upgrading later down the road. They are both nice computers but I personally have always been one to lean towards computers that are user friendly and a little more liberal when it comes to the decompression times. Both the Scubapro Sol and the Mares Icon tend to side a bit too much on the conservative side and I prefer just a bit more downtime if I am paying money to go out diving. Besides you only get to go on one or two trips a year and that's if you are lucky. I personally if I were a wrist guy would take a look at the Aeris A300CS. It has a far more responsive compass feature and user ability functions are very simple. With it being right there in the same price range I see it as a no brainer. However if you are fond of the two you have mentioned I would say the Icon HD. It has had less firmware issues that I know of and if you are not gearing to be a tech diver you will find the Icon to be easier to understand and quite sure you will enjoy the color screen better too. Not too sure if this all helps but, just let me know if I can help with anything else.
    Last edited by ScubaToys Larry; 09-23-2014 at 19:51.

Shark Founding Member
    Enid, Oklahoma (no longer living the desert life)
    Images
    Neither is my personal preference so I can't offer specific advice. Both look very similar in style, ability and functions.
    Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

TadPole
    thank you guys I will take a look also at the Aeris A300CS.

I dont definately have to stick with the scubapro or IconHD. any recommendations are appreciated.

Guppy
    Images
    The Uwatec is a good computer I have a Luna. They have several bells and whistles which is ok if that's what you want. I do not have any experience with the Mares computer but their products are solid and good performers. Both would be good computers but... If you have ever even considered going tech save some money and buy a Shearwater Petrel. It will go as far as you want, 5 gasses, rebreathers, and user selectable conservatism. I have one and the recreational Nitrox mode is about as easy to use as you can get.
    If it doesn't fit, force it. If it breaks it needed to be replaced anyway.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ace21 View Post
    Hello everyone, New to the Forum from So. Cal. Hows everyone doing.

I am in the market for a new dive computer and I have been looking at the Scubapro sol and the Mares Icon HD. what do you guys think of these two products and if you guys can recommend a different brand that are similar to these 2 computers. or any other recommendation for that matter.

Thanks you all in advance for the help.
    If you like the Mares Icon then you must check out the Atomic Cobalt. The Mares products have a very confusing manual. The Cobalt doesn't even need a manual. It's top of the line and a bit pricey though. You can get them used in the $800-$900 range.
    --Zeagle Eagle

TadPole
    very good advice and recommendations guys thanks. I will keep in mind all the different recommendations.

Petrel is non-AI.

Grouper
    I have used the Icon HD (non-net ready) and now have the Icon HD 4.0 (net ready). The 4.0 is a real improvement. It has a much improved layout and some features for vision challenged guys like me - a night mode, for example. I realy love the Icon and I don't even have the transmitter for air integration. I didn't find the manual at all confusing but once you know what each of the buttons does you don't really need it anyway.

TadPole

icon hd

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    I have used the Icon HD (non-net ready) and now have the Icon HD 4.0 (net ready). The 4.0 is a real improvement. It has a much improved layout and some features for vision challenged guys like me - a night mode, for example. I realy love the Icon and I don't even have the transmitter for air integration. I didn't find the manual at all confusing but once you know what each of the buttons does you don't really need it anyway.
    regarding your icon hd 4.0... is it true that the battery drains even if the computer is turned off? I have heard that it constantly using batter power and drain even if unit is turned off .

Thread Information