Thread: Nitrox Or AOW

Nitrox Or AOW

Hey fellow divers I was wondering what the general diving community would suggest to do first. I have met a PADI instructor through the local dive club. I would like someday to teach diving to handicapped individuals. I have spoken to him about my goals and he said he can train me up to PADIs Dive Master Program. Great maybe in a year or two I'll get to that point in my dive career. So I am being told to get the Nitrox certification first, then do the AOW. Then have been told to do AOW first as there are some places that will requie the AOW. If he could do both on the same weekend that'd be great. I have planed to dive the Flower gardens in March, the Great Lakes in July, and then the Oriskany in August with alot of lake diving in between. With those dives destinations what would you think about doing first?

Megalodon
    Images
    The better question is where do you live? If you live in a northern, more colder state, I'd go for the EAN/Nitrox as it's a no dive cert. If you're in a warmer (read: winter diveable) state, I'd go for the AOW first. In the end, it really doesn't matter which one you do first. I would get both prior to a Flower Garden trip - it's deeper dives and you'll get more dive time on nitrox. If you're going to dive the "O", a deep cert is a must! The top of the superstructure is at about 75', Vulture's Row is at 95'-100', Flight deck is 145' and the bottom is 225' so anything but the island is a technical dive.

Yes, you might be able to do both in a weekend, but I'm more in favor of not overwhelming yourself with too much information. Also, if your a newer diver, you will benefit from the diving experience of the AOW.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Images
    How many dives have you had?

I'm not a fan of those doing their open water one weekend and AOW the next weekend. I think you should get some experience and time before AOW just to figure a few things out before going into AOW. I think everybody should do it because it does give you a few more dives with an instructor, but you really need a little experience so you know what you don't know. AOW will teach you more skills with an intructor. Nitrox not so much.

Unless you are planning on going some place like Bonaire and doing many repetitive dives or the Big O Nitrox isn't something you have to have.

I think the natural progression is Open Water, AOW, then Rescue Class. Those are the three I think every diver should start with, but not in the same month.

Snagel

Thanks guys I was going to post some background but didn't want to be long winded. I completed my 56th loged dive recently. I am SSI Certified in June, and Dive every weekend. I was going to do the Rescue down the road aways then progress to dive master a year or two later.

Barracuda Founding Member
    I think either will be fine. With 56 dives you have a few under your belt and will likely have more by the time a AOW class comes. I would see what fits your schedule. Nitrox doesn't require a dive at least not with PADI. See what the shops schedule for classes is vs. what you can do and work from there.

Thread Information