Thread: Mares Puck and desaturation times

Mares Puck and desaturation times

Howdy everyone. I bought a Mares Puck when I bought my gear. I am happy with it to a point. I will be in the market for a back up dive computer before I head to Florida in September. My Question is how does it know what my desaturation time is. I know it's safe; I'm still here. And yes I know how to use it. I have heard the rumor that "rounder shaped" people can have a higher percentage of nitrogen in their tissue, compared to a "flatter shaped" person on the same dive. If this is true why didn't the Puck ask for my weight or BMI? I have also heard that a "rounder shaped" person takes longer to off gas. Is any of this true?
    I like my Computer. However it only has one button and if I go past information in the "log book" I'm looking for I have to let it go to sleep and start the process all over agian. Is there a computer to there that has more than one stinking button so I can scroll back, that's costs less than $500.00?

Barracuda Founding Member
    I don't know any computer that asks for BMI or weight.

There are so many things that effect on/off gasing that. That's why it's referred to as deco theory. Some computers have conservatism settings. Some models are known to be more conservative then others(Suunto). If all your doing is recreation, no deco, diving I wouldn't worry about it much the computer algorithm. More important is slow accents. Especial the last 30-40 feet. Also do a good safety stop.

Megalodon
    Images
    Comet24 is spot on as far as BMI weight and body shape. The original tables were navy dive tables simplified for recreational use. If you compare the two, rec tables are now much more conservative - gone is the "120 rule": 50'-70minutes, 60'-60 minutes, 70'-50 minutes, etc. The computer is simply following an algorithm. Taking into account your body shape, BMI and comfort zone in adjusting your computer conservancy will help keep you safer with less chance of a DCS hit.The biggest risk of DCS comes not from the one dive at near NDL but multiple dives per day.You are right, the off gassing variables are the greatest risk.That’s where diving smart comes in. If I know that I’m planning 4 dives for today, is it worth the risk hitting my NDL on every dive?Should I extend my surface interval a little longer?

As for your computer, I’ve not used a Mares Puck but if it’s like most computers, you should be able to keep hitting the advance until you get back to the log.I’ve used Oceanic GEO and Atom 2 and have been able to continue to advance until I get back around to what I was wanting.

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

Thread Information