Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hard to draw primary

TadPole
    Thank you all again and NavyHMC, that's exactly what I did this morning.
    I spoke with my instructor and told him I was going to check the primary and octo before we left. He had no problem with it at all and even agreed it was a good idea.

Well, my 2 dives today went flawlessly!

1st one (my 2nd OW) went to 52'
    2nd dive, (3rd OW) went to 45' at a shipwreck.

brought my wrist mounted GoPro... I need to work on improving the quality of the photos. Someone told me it needs a filter, green or red.. I'm not sure .. Need to research that out.

4th OW dive tomorrow, weather permitting. I asked the instructor if he could keep the bcd and reg outfit together for me somewhere safe so I have the same set up tomorrow, he said he would be able to do that.
    So far, so good!

You guys have all been so helpful with your thoughts and suggestions.
    thank you
    Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images

Guppy
    FWIW, Sherwoods are very popular in the rental fleets in Jamaica. Every resort that I've visited down there had unblanced yoke Sherwood Oasis regulators with the positive pressure bleed system. They take heavy abuse, are easy to overhaul and keep on ticking. The DMs aren't given much money for parts and are expected to keep them in good condition on their own time when they aren't diving.

It is kind of cool that they let you wear your GoPro. A lot of instructors don't want students thinking about their camera (even a GoPro) when they should be focused on the training. By the way, you need a red filter. Something like the Snake River Prototyping BlurFix 3+ (assuming you are using a GoPro 3+) would work well.

Sandals resorts use ScubaPro. So it should have been a ScubaPro regulator.
    This signature left intentionally blank

Megalodon
    Images
    Glad to know it worked out and you are now fully certified! Now go have fun!

I once saved a man in Wichita just to watch him dive...(inventor)

TadPole
    Scuba diver888
    yes the reg was a scubapro.
    thanks for the info on the red filter, it's a silver 3+
    I asked the instructor before bringing it, he had no issue at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve50G View Post
    Scuba diver888
    yes the reg was a scubapro.
    thanks for the info on the red filter, it's a silver 3+
    I asked the instructor before bringing it, he had no issue at all.
    Some advice on underwater photos with a GoPro. Get very close. So close you think you are too close. The gopro 3 has such a wide angle lenses that 12" at shuttle snap will appear 4-5 feet away in the photo. I use an extension stick for video and able to get very close without worrying about touching coral or scaring of habitat.

Quote Originally Posted by dkh6070 View Post
    Some advice on underwater photos with a GoPro. Get very close. So close you think you are too close. The gopro 3 has such a wide angle lenses that 12" at shuttle snap will appear 4-5 feet away in the photo. I use an extension stick for video and able to get very close without worrying about touching coral or scaring of habitat.
    And have fun diving and learning to dive before getting to wrapped up in photos. you miss a lot of things by concentrating on taking pictures. My wife uses the gopro every dive. We came up from a Belize dive and everyone was talking about how many eels, turtles, sharks and a couple eagle rays that were on that dive and she said she only seen one lobster. It's because she gets wrapped up in the camera and not enjoying the dive as a whole.

And have fun diving and learning to dive before getting to wrapped up in photos. you miss a lot of things by concentrating on taking pictures. My wife uses the gopro every dive. We came up from a Belize dive and everyone was talking about how many eels, turtles, sharks and a couple eagle rays that were on that dive and she said she only seen one lobster. It's because she gets wrapped up in the camera and not enjoying the dive as a whole.
    +1 and +1 to these comments.

I use an Xshot 2.0 extension for my GoPro: P1050021.jpg

I've also talk about all the great stuff I see when I get back on the boat and it is normal for the guy with the camera to have totally missed everything but one or two things he took pictures of. I've also seen people who haven't dialed in their buoyancy control get in trouble. If they have no camera then might be slightly negatively or positively buoyant but they fins their way neutral. Put a camera in their hand they they start sinking or raising. A few times I've seen a guide chase after the guy with a camera because he is going for the surface and doesn't realize it. You'd be amazed how easy it is to lose your buoyancy when you stick a camera in your hand. This is why I didn't get a camera until I was a divemaster (12 years of diving).
    This signature left intentionally blank

Barracuda
    Images
    I use a GoPro with a floaty handle. I have it tethered to BCD and usually keep it in my cumberbund until I see something I want to video. I have alot of dives and have figured out my bouyancing thing since coming back to diving and learning the BCD. I also have over 30 years taking photos and looking for little things/items to picture. So learn to enjoy your diving, your bouyancy, then your camera set up. Red lens worked for me. We video then pull stills out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information